chapter-18

Brush the toast with olive oil. Says the old fellow on YouTube.

Pausing the video, I brush the olive oil on the toast, following his directions. Twice. Enough I guess.

Then I play the video again.

Add the avocado..mash it all in.

Mash it all in, I repeat verbally while dragging the avocado filled spoon all over the toast.

Sprinkle salt..pepper..

I scoop the salt and pepper bottle from the corner of the counter and sprinkle them both on the pretty result of my experience.

..and that's pretty much it you guys!

What?

I dragged the pointer on the rest of the video to make sure there was nothing left behind but to my surprise, that was all, minus the usual shameless promotion of the channel at the end.

I eyed the the avocado toast one last time to see if it matches what Emma makes me everyday and to my surprise it does.

Wow!

I must be a really good chef then!

I should try making myself breakfast more often then.

"Why do you keep your hair in a bun?"

I jump at the sudden intrusion and turn around to find him leaning against the door seal. His hands tucked inside the pockets, arms and feet folded and something about that sky blue hoodie which strangely complimented his pale skin.

At least he had it on!

I looked up to find his gaze trained on me. My eyebrows scrunched together.

His face looks fresh and more handsome!

Why?

And then the creases between my eyebrows straightened noticing his bare forehead, free of those newly showered midnight bangs that were now sleeked back, tucked efficiently as if ready to male appearance in ballroom.

Wait, what did he say?

"What?"

His eyebrows rose up in mock recognition of my state of mind and I could clearly see them turned up in tow perfect arcs.

I've never been a fan of arc shaped eyebrows. Up until now.

"I said.." he trailed off creating an uneasy feeling inside my stomach as he gestured towards my covered hair," untie your hair."

I looked at him deadpanned trying to repeat his words inside my head to see if I get them wrong the first time. And then repeat some more.

Finally I staggered back, gripping the edge of my scarf, as my back hit the counter," wh-why would I do that?"

"Because," he stepped inside casually as if he was walking on his dad's property,"I like it open with you."

Something like an electric shock ran through my body bringing the memories of earlier when he marched in on me uncovered.

"I'll never do that," I gritted out plucking the courage from every single fiber of my being," especially not for someone like you!"

Shadows flashed inside his eyes as his left jaw ticked upon hearing my response. He stepped closer relieving his hands from pockets making me grip the counter tighter in between my fingers.

No matter how strongly I wanted to pull the facade, in the end his intimidating aura would beat me to it and i would end up feeling like I'm crumbling down piece by piece under his scrutinizing gaze.