16. Life's a Lemon

"Do you... have to do that here?" It would be hard not to notice the amount of bitterness that was in my voice.

From the safety of the kitchen I observed him arrange his little corner with a surprising collection of weights and exercise gear.

"Yup, not enough space in my room." Maddox shrugged and glanced at me with a smirk. "Look, I'm following the rules and even wearing a shirt." He said that so proudly I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"Gee, thanks, your sacrifice will go down in history." My tone dripped with sarcasm as I looked him over.

Sure, he was wearing a shirt, or half of a shirt. More like an undershirt, really. One that was so tight against his body it didn't leave much to the imagination. I was pretty sure that once he started his workout, the fabric would just rip at the seams.

A part of me wanted to stay and watch it happen. The other part of me was deeply disturbed at that idea.

I was quickly becoming a collection of paradoxes and I didn't like it one bit.

He chuckled which made me worry about what kind of face I was making. I frowned and crossed my arms, clicking my tongue.

"You're welcome to join me, ya know." His voice was amused in a way that spelled trouble.

"Yeah, I don't think so." I snorted, the mere idea of exercising with Maddox was ridiculous. He would have probably just made me do about a thousand squats.

"You do know exercising is good for your health, right?" He raised an eyebrow and stretched, his tiny excuse of a shirt hiking up to reveal his prominent, sexy pelvic bones. I swallowed and looked away, cringing at my own body's reaction.

He was a demon. A sex demon.

Grimacing, I shook my head before wildly gesturing at him and his makeshift gym corner, "That can only be bad for my health."

"Hm, I'm sure I can change your mind..." He rubbed his thumb across his lower lip, one eyebrow slightly raised.

My gaze automatically fell on his luscious lips... until I shook my head and pulled myself out of the daze. It was becoming obvious that he was an expert in the art of seduction. Luckily, I was well-aware that my reaction to him was just physical. Hormones, urging me to continue the bloodline. Primitive. I was above such basic tactics. I could handle this for another sixteen days, right?

"Doubtful," I added, unsure whether it was a reply to him or an answer to my internal turmoil.

Casting one last glance at Maddox, I quickly made my way back to the safety of my bedroom and away from the trouble he was purposefully causing.

"Would references help?" he yelled after me, laughter obvious in his voice.

Online. Classes. Sucked.

I appreciated the effort it took to launch online classes so quickly, I really did. But, it was very obvious that some classes just weren't meant to be done online, such as anatomy or internal medicine. The professors were doing their best but you could tell they weren't used to holding monologues in front of a camera instead of a group of proactive students. The only benefit was that I could 'attend class' while still wearing my comfy pajamas.