chapter fourty-two.

SHE SMILED BRIGHT AT THE GIRL, HER EYES LIGHTING UP AT THE SOUND OF HER LAUGH. The sun shined on them as they talked while sitting on the swings of the playground. "I miss this."

"Me too." The younger girl said, smiling softly at her sister beside her. "I also miss you."

Allison turned her head over to her sister, sighing deeply. Tears started to form in her eyes as she looked closer to her face. The face she missed so much. The tears fell down her face, her lip quivering as her breath was trembling the more she held in her cries. She felt as if it was her fault that her sister was dead. That she could've done something to stop it.

Looking at her innocent face, she choked out a sob, gripping onto her hand. "I'm so sorry. It's my fault." She cried.

Beth's face softened at her upset state before she nodded her head, her eyes narrowing a bit. "Yeah... it is."

Allison looked up to her once her tone had changed. She saw a bullet wound form in her forehead, her widening her eyes in fear, panting heavily as she tried to scoot away from her. Beth charged at her, a sinister smile on her face. "Your fault! Your fault!" She chanted, Allison running towards the barn, where she saw the detached head from her father, making her cry even louder.

"You're okay." She mumbled to herself once she reached inside the house. Allison closed the door quickly with shaky hands, panting heavily. She heard muffled screams coming from outside and she ignored them, inhaling and exhaling to keep herself calm. "This isn't real."

Allison heard the door swing open and she gasped, knocking a glass from off the counter, the glass shards piercing her skin. She winced, almost feeling the pieces inside her skin.

The woman woke up, her palm dripping blood down her arm. She heard footsteps coming from down the stairs and looked over quickly, seeing Daryl with a concerned look on his face. He stopped right in front of her, trying to see if it was actually her in the dark. "Ally?"

He looked to her hand and rushed over, taking it in his. Sighing deeply, he moved over to the sink, running her cut over the warm water, her face scrunching up in pain. Reaching over the counter, he grabbed a towel from one of the drawers, pressing it onto her hand gently. "What happened?" Daryl asked quietly.

"I-I knocked over a glass." Allison was still trying to figure out why she was in the kitchen in the first place. She doesn't even remember getting out from her bed. "I don't even remember coming out from my room." Shaking her head to herself, she looked down, swallowing down the lump in her throat.

Daryl's eyes lingered on her for a second before he inhaled sharply, squeezing his hand around hers gently. "Come on." He mumbled, leading her to the bathroom upstairs.

Allison nodded her head and followed him, Daryl wrapping her hand before he went to walk off, leaving the woman sitting on the toilet. He stopped suddenly, hesitantly wanting to ask her something. "Why don't you, uh... come with me?" He cleared his throat awkwardly once he turned around to face her.

Allison gave him a puzzled look before she nodded her head, a small smile on her face. She laid down next to him in the bed, hesitantly scooting towards his body. Daryl surprisingly pulled her into him, a small smile on his face as well. Allison sighed into him and closed her eyes, trying to sleep for the night.

-

Allison woke up the next morning in an empty bed. At first she thought nothing of it, just Daryl going out for a run or going outside. But she panicked slightly when she heard shuffling coming from across the room. She instantly shot up and sighed in relief when she saw Daryl, who turned away from his stare once he noticed she was awake. 

"Hey." She smiled, throwing the covers over her body before walking over towards him, stopping a good distance in front of him. 

"I was jus' makin' sure you're up." He shrugged, giving her a gentle smile.

Allison nodded her head and looked down to the ground, clearing her throat awkwardly. "What's the plan for today?" She asks him.

"Was gon' go on a run with Aaron. Shouldn't be long." He told her, hesitating on moving towards her. Deciding against it, he leans back into the dresser, pushing his hands in his pockets.

"Okay. Just the two of you?"

Daryl nodded, Allison nodding after him. "Rick mentioned something about teaching the kids how to fight. Might go help with that today." She told him, crossing her arms to help calm her nerves that appeared whenever she talked to him.

"Okay." Daryl stated shortly before he walked out slowly, giving Allison a short "see you later" before walking out completely, her making her way towards the shower, wanting to get started for the day.

After a quick ten minute shower, she got dressed and walked over to Sophia's room, seeing the door slightly open, the woman guessing she was already awake so she pushed it open. Her eyes went wide as she saw Sophia on top of Carl, the two in a heated make out session. "Woah!" Allison yelled out, moving her hand up to her eyes to cover whatever she just saw.

Sophia pulled away abruptly and gasped loudly, her eyes going wide as well. "Allison!" The teenager squealed, quickly moving off from Carl.

Allison moved outside the room, waiting to scold Sophia. The girl walked out from the room, closing the door behind her. Sophia's face was red in embarrassment, her biting the inside of her cheek as she saw Allison standing there with her arms crossed. "What was that?"

"I-it was... nothing." Sophia stammered, contemplating on telling her that her and Carl were together.

"I don't want to ever catch you two doing that again." Allison ordered her, the girl taken aback by her sudden strict demeanour and tone. "He shouldn't even be staying over, Sophia."

"What?" Sophia spoke in disbelief, now becoming confused. "You're not my mom, Allison. You don't get to tell me what to do." She snapped at the woman, anger in her voice.

"I-I never said I was." Allison defended herself, uncrossing her arms and trying to reach out to her, Sophia backing away. "I'm just trying to look out for you."

"You don't get to replace my mom. I don't need your protecting. And I sure as hell don't need your opinion on my relationships." With that, Sophia walked back into her room, slamming the door behind her.

Allison stood there, regretting everything she had said to the girl. She wasn't her mother and she knew that. So why did I act like it? She shook her head and felt tears prick at her eyes, wiping them away once they fell.

She walked outside, going out for a calming walk.