14

Soon, we were riding into the thick forest that surrounded the rear side of the palace

Soon, we were riding into the thick forest that surrounded the rear side of the palace. It felt amazing. I took a deep breath, reveling in the feeling of the wind blowing against my face. Nature had to be my natural habitat. Inside the palace walls I felt confined, like some sort of prisoner, but outside, the sun shining down on me, I was actually happy. 

But I couldn't say the same for my horse, who neighed uncomfortably and all but threw me off his back. Fiona and I trailed behind the rest of the Ladies, who chattered about anything and everything. I guessed the royal family and their entourage were further on as there was no sight of Prince Carlos- or even Lord Amancio. 

"He's amazing, Madeline," Fiona sighed, a dreamy look in her eyes. 

I had to admit, it did register to me that Fiona was speaking, but I was too busy reconciling with the outside world that I didn't hear a word she'd said. 

"Who's amazing, Fiona?" I asked. 

"The Prince," Fiona giggled. "We danced yesterday and it was straight out of a fairy tale." 

"Seriously?" I raised an eyebrow in disbelief. 

Normally, I'd expect people to generally be more open around a kindred spirit like Fiona but Prince Carlos was certainly not normal and even if he met an angel in person he'd probably still act like the devil's incarnate. 

Fiona nodded eagerly. 

"What did you both talk about?" I asked. If they did speak it would probably be about something extremely bookish like politics and Aridian laws. 

"Well...we didn't talk per say," Fiona explained. 

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at Fiona's optimism. Fiona was smart and extremely pretty but sometimes she acted like the rest of the girls, naive and 'in love'. 

"So what clicked between you two? What makes him dreamy?" I asked, fluttering my eyelids. 

"Well, I love the way he dances. I'd just love to be in his arms again," Fiona giggled nervously. 

"So his dead eyes don't unnerve you?" I ask. 

"What do you mean 'dead eyes'? His eyes look perfectly normal to me," Fiona shook her head. 

Prince Carlos' eyes were definitely not normal. They were a piercing green, yet sad and closed-off like they held a lot more than they let on. 

"I saw you both dancing, what did you talk about? You looked pretty distressed," Fiona turned the conversation over to me. 

I shrugged, "He went on and on about Aridian politics and you know how much stuff like that bores me out." 

Fiona shook her head, giggling. "You're crazy, Madeline." 

Before I could speak, one of the Ladies turned around, stopping her horse. She gave me a disgusted look but offered Fiona a small smile. 

"Fiona, I heard you went to Finishing School in Paris. Can you tell us about the Louvre?" The girl, who I recognized as Katherine, asked.