You Should Stay

"Should we go back?" I asked once we had finished selling. 

"How's 'bout we stop by the theatre?" Elmer suggested, flinching when Honeybelle licked his ear.

"Good idea." I lifted the kitten up from his shoulder, and he rubbed his ear against his shoulder. I grinned. A smile spread across his face as well. Then we walked side by side to the theatre, the sun beginning to set. His eyes became more of an amber color when the sun hit them.

"See somethin' ya like?" Elmer took off his hat a ran his hand through his black hair jokingly. His bruise was still red.

"I's'll neva tell." Honeybelle was nestled in the crook of my elbow.

"C'mon!" He nudged me as we walked. He couldn't really see my face flush with red, since I was in his shadow.

"Ay, look at that!" I exclaimed, holding my hands out. "It's the theatre!"

"Pfft." He smiled happily. "Saved by the bell."

I opened the door for him, but he just stood outside.

"What's wrong?" My smile faltered.

"You's ain't supposed to open da door for me." He said. My grin returned and I backed up from the door. Honeybelle was still asleep in my arm. Elmer strutted to the door and held open the door. "Afta you."

"Thank ya, fine sir." I threw a bad British accent over my New York one.

"My pleasure m'lady." He did the same. When we were both in the building, Miss Medda noticed immediately.

"Bailey!" She came up and gave me a hug. "And who's this?"

"I's Elmer, ma'am." He held out his hand, and they shook.

"Nice to meet you, Elmer." She smiled at him warmly.

"Miss Medda, I'll return the dress, the brush, and t--" I started.

"No, you can keep them." She waved her hand.

"Thank you." I nodded.

"Elmer, can I please speak to you for just a moment?" Miss Medda asked him.

"Of course." He said politely.

"Excuse us, Bailey." She held up a finger to signal for one moment.

~Elmer's POV~

"What do you think of Bailey?" Miss Medda asked.

"I's thinkin' I's want her to stay with us as a Newsie." I told her quietly.

"Do you think she'd want to stay?" She questioned.

"I dunno." I took off my hat and rubbed my neck.

"She seems to really like you, Elmer." The woman smiled.

"I guess." I fiddled with my old hat in my hand.

"Well, would you consider her your friend?" Miss Medda crossed her arms.

I nodded hesitantly.

"How'd you get that?" She motioned to the bruise on my jaw. If I was being honest, I had almost forgotten about it.

"Ya know the Delancey's?" I asked, putting my cap in my pocket. She nodded. "Well, this mornin' they were tryna ta get ta her."

"So what did you do?" 

"Well, first I's tried ta scare them." I confessed. "The boys did the same, and Crutchie tried ta get Bailey away and Morris pushed 'er against the gate."