Chapter 13

Mia's POV

I wake up just as the light begins to filter through the curtains. I sit up slowly, rubbing my forehead as a small ache seemed to lessen. What the hell happened? Did Ares make me... fall asleep? Is that even possible? 

"Finally, you woke up. Got your beauty sleep?" My eyes dart to a figure in the corner of my room and I immediately stiffen. I can't get a break, can I? 

I turn my attention toward the speaker and my jaw drops open. She's gorgeous. I've seen her in magazines and posters, she was what everyone wanted to look like. She had dark chocolate skin and a perfectly poofed afro. Her highlights along her cheeks and seemed to glow even though there was no direct sunlight on her. Her green eyes emitted some sort of easy confidence that made everyone around her slightly jealous of her. Aphrodite, the Goddess of Beauty.

She had a lithe, hourglass body, with a robe-like chiffon dress pulled over her shoulders. She had full, plump lips that were a harsh bright red that only she could pull off. I shrunk before her, feeling like an odd creature compared to an angel. 

"What are you doing here?" I drew my body back, looking briefly at the window to my right. If I jump through that, it probably wouldn't hurt me that bad, would it? 

"You're the girl that everyone's talking about. It's always Mia this, Mia that. Honestly, I don't understand what the fuss is all about. You're very plain looking... slightly above average at best." She says, moving toward me. I let out a small squeak as she did, pushing myself to the corner of the bed. 

"Can I help you...?" She grabs my chin beneath her forefinger and thumb, tilting my face to and fro. 

"You aren't even that pretty, so why..." Her voice raised to an angry tone, frustration leaking into her emerald eyes. "is he so obsessed with you?" She shoves me away and I swallow hard, before touching my neck. It didn't hurt... I guess his blood worked...? "I really..." She drew her hand back, and I flinch, backing up, and eventually falling off the bed. "hate you."

"It seems like you've already got here, hm?" Another voice?! Are you kidding me?! I pick myself up from the ground, the bed separating me from the other two. I lay my gaze on the other person. Another woman, with gray, ashy skin and dark black hair. But there was one feature that bothered me the most. 

Her entire eye was black. No pupil, iris, or white, it was completely black. Only three people that I know of have eyes like that. Greek mythology might've not been my strong suit, but everyone knew about these people. 

The furies. 

The three spirits of vengeance. 

Alecto, undying anger, Megaera, jealousy, and Tisiphone, avenger. And from the distinct features of the woman next to Aphrodite, I could already tell who it was. 

"Mia Williams, you are one surprising girl." The voice comes from right beside me and I recoil away from the gray lady. Her voice is like one that you would expect at the gates of heaven. It was sweet and silky, like a smooth purr. "Ares was right when he said that you had no anger." 

I blink at her. "What?" I echoed, tilting my head at her. Ares talked about me? And what did she mean about no anger? 

Alecto glanced at me up and down before grabbing my arm with her sharp nails. "Yes, you sure are, aren't you?" She coos, talking to me as if I were a pet dog. I furrow my eyebrows at her, wishing to get out of this situation. 

"Do... Do you two need something?" I mumble, fear slowly filling me. They wouldn't hurt me, right? Aphrodite was usually nice during interviews... But I think it's Alecto who I should be afraid of. Her glassy eyes were trained on me, making my skin crawl.