Chapter 9

"Mom?" I grabbed her hand. She was frantic. Constantly running her hands through her hair and panting heavily. She stepped forward then back again. It was so scary. I don't know when I started to cry but I felt hot tears fall down my face.

Matthew grabbed my shoulder and started to pull me back to him. "Stay back Max. Your mom is most likely drunk and having a fit. There's absolutely nothing to worry about." 

I walked away and sat on the bed just to get back up and head to the closet.

He said everything was fine. That there was nothing to worry about.

As if I didn't know better. I ripped my suitcase open and started dumping all my clothes in them. I grabbed the gifts Matthew gave me and added them in. My mother was acting weirder than usual. She was planning on taking me away from him. I don't want to leave. But my mom will do anything she can to bring me back.

Anything.

I reached under the bed and grabbed a few books. Wherever my mom is going to take me, I need to entertain myself somehow. "Matthew?"

He turned around to see me holding my suitcase. "No. Max you are not leaving here with this psychotic woman!"

"Matthew she's my mom."

"I don't care if she's your mom. She's clearly out of her mind and needs help. Stay with me, I'll send you to school and become your guardian. We'll get her the help she needs."

"No Max. Come with me, I'm your mom! Don't you want to come back to me?"

I looked between them both. I want to stay with Matthew. But she's my mom. No matter how crazy she can get, she's family. So I grabbed her hand and left.

I could see Matthew's hurt expression from the car window. I smiled as wide as I could and waved as if I was saying, "Don't worry so much. I'll be back soon."

He did a simple nod and shut the door.