Chapter 20

Jade felt Renjun's body on top of her. She opened her eyes to see fire all around her, large chunks of metal falling from the sky.

They had done it. They had broken the forcefield. The sunlight began to seep in.

"Are you okay?" Renjun asked her as he got off her. She removed her hand from his back and saw that it was covered in blood. But it wasn't hers. Renjun must have taken a hit for her.

"You're bleeding." Jade said, alarmed but Renjun shook his head.

"Don't worry about me, we should find the others." Renjun told her, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

Jade looked around her. What once was a snowy mountain was now an electrical wasteland covered with fire. The electricity from the forcefield must have caused the pieces to burn up as they fell around them. Jade followed Renjun as they looked for their friends, but nothing could be found.

"Mark! Haechan!" Renjun yelled out, but it was no use. There was no response and neither of them could see anything further than a few meters away from them.

Suddenly, the sky became dark and the two of them looked up to see a hovercraft covering their view. That's when Jade suddently felt light headed.

"Renjun." Jade called out before falling to her knees. She felt the back her head with one of her hands, feeling a something sticky before wincing in pain. She removed her hand, staring at it. She was bleeding.

"Jade!" Renjun exclaimed as he made his way to her side. He held tightly to her.

"Hold on, alright. We're almost out of here. We're going to make it out of this arena, together. I just need to hold on for a moment." Renjun said, squeezing her hand. Jade smiled at him.

Even with the scars on his forehead, Renjun looked like a mystical creature. His eyes were absolutely beautiful as he stared into hers, his hair messy, but still looking like a work of art at the same time. Perfect. That's what Renjun was to her.

"I love you." Jade whispered to him but Renjun shook his head.

"No, I'm not saying it back. It's not your time yet." Renjun told her. Jade could have sworn that she saw something come down from the sky but her vision was becoming blurry.

"Renjun..." Jade's voice trailed off as she passed out from the loss of blood.

...

When Jade opened her eyes again, bright lights were shining on her. She was lying on what seemed like a metal table, wearing a white dress. She felt her head, her fingers meeting a bandage. Am I dead or am I dreaming?

"Neither." Jade turned her head towards to familar voice, seeing Jaehyun sitting in a chair. Had she said her thoughts outloud?

"Jaehyun." Jade's voice came out raspy, making Jaehyun chuckle.

"Here, let me help you." Jaehyun said, helping her up. After she was sitting with her legs dangling, Jaehyun passed her a bottle of water. She hungrily drank the water, emptying half the bottle.

"How long was I out for?" Jade asked her brother. Jaehyun sighed before answering her question.

"A week." Jaehyun said. Jade widened her eyes. She had been passed out for a week?!

"Where's everyone else? Where am I? What is going on?" Jade quickly shot out the questions, making Jaehyun motion his hands downwards to slow her down.

"First of all, all of them made it out alive. You were the most injured, so you're the last one to wake up. Right now we're in District 13." Jaehyun said. Jade immediately got onto her feet.