Chapter 4

// HUGE SHOUTOUT TO @justanotherdreamer26  

FOR THE AWESOME MOODBOARDS AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE!!! LOVE THEM.//

___________________

Again I laid in my bed, searching the ceiling for an answer. Tonight, however, my mom was silent. There was no crying. The news at the dining table had given her some comfort, at least. And it was all because of the boy down the street.

The boy down the street who was still angry with me. The boy down the street who was still protecting me even when he wasn't speaking to me. The boy who I dreamed about.

When his brown eyes starred in my dreams, they were the most terrifying.

Rolling over to face my window, I strained my eyes to see if I could see the Joy house through the trees. Some nights I liked to imagine that I could see it and it gave me comfort. I knew I would have to thank him eventually for what he did for my family. The thought both terrified and electrified me. The thought of seeing his face made my heartbeat echo throughout the walls of my bedroom.

That night I dreamed of brown flecked with gold and woke at sunrise in a cold sweat, screaming. Terrified to the core.

On Friday, two weeks had passed since I had last seen my generous benefactor. It was also the day I decided that I needed to face him. I was sitting on my bike to convince myself to ride over to the Joy house when my phone rang.

Saved by the bell- literally. I glanced down at the caller-ID on my phone and a smile spread across my face.

"Hey stranger!"

"Lou! It's good to hear your voice."

Gray sounded the same as he always did- cheerful and a little bit sarcastic. We chatted for a little while and I was grateful for the distraction. He had been doing a lot of work for his mom being a pack ambassador and meeting with different supernatural folk to discuss the disappearances. Apparently, it wasn't only werewolves who had gone missing.

"Do you want to come by the campsite? I can tell you all about the fey I just met with," he asked excitedly then muttered, "drama queens."

Before I could think too hard, I agreed and sped off toward the familiar camp, the wind ripping through my red hoodie. Now that I knew exactly where it was, the journey to the site only took me about twenty minutes. The walk through the woods was familiar too.

I pushed away the memories of the last time I'd been in these woods. I had been so sure that Tucker was going to die. Everything had seemed so hopeless.

There was still darkness now, but it was mine not his.

"Lou!" A familiar voice broke me out of my reminiscing.