I's A Newsie!

"So, Olive, ya like your new name?" Elmer asked once we were up in the room.

"Uhuh." I grinned, stroking Honeybelle, who was laying down on his bed.

"I's going to protect ya from the Delancey's." He promised, more serious.

"I don't need no protectin'!" I laughed. Elmer was studying his bruise in the small mirror on the wall. "How ya feelin'?"

"Just peachy." He looked back at me, grinning widely.

"Ay, why was ya coughing so hard this mornin'?" I asked, leaning back against the wall, still sitting in the bottom bunk.

"Well, ya remember how Oscar punched me, and I fell?" Elmer asked bitterly, sitting on the other side of Honeybelle, also leaning back. I nodded. "Well, it's took a minute ta get up, and someone pushed him, and his foot landed right here." He drew a circle on his chest with his thumb.

"You was just winded, right?" I checked worriedly. He nodded, smiling.

"Like I's said, I's fine." He stretched.

"You's tired." I guessed, stifling a giggle.

"Nah," Elmer hugged a pillow to himself, resting his head on it. His eyes were closed. "Just resting my eyes." His voice sounded drowsy. Within a minute, his posture went slack.

"Elmer?" I whispered. No response. I looked closely at him, how his mouth was slightly parted. How he had a cluster of freckles, like a constellation. How his jawline was so defined. How his hair was scruffy and a little unkempt. How he actually looked strong, you just don't see it at first glance. How he wasn't afraid to take a punch for someone else. How, even though there were younger kids here, he was still Jack still underestimated him.

I stood up to climb onto the top bunk, but my hand got caught in my hair. I ripped it free, and went up after blowing out the candle. But I couldn't sleep. I turned over in the thin blanket, in hopes of getting comfortable

I slept restlessly.

~Elmer's POV~

It's 1:56 a.m. on July 19, 1900. I can't sleep, so I get up, careful not to wake Honeybelle. Then I remembered that Bailey- Olive- was asleep on the top bunk.
Well, I mean, it couldn't hurt.
I quietly crept up the ladder, and looked at her. Her dark brown hair was in a braid, and she had a soft, but existent, jawline. Her face was more square than round, like mine. She's beautiful, but she's just my friend. Suddenly, her eyes, one was electric blue, the other was sapphire blue, opened up.
(A)n: I'm pretty sure her eyes are different shades.)
"Elmer?"
~Olive's POV~
"Elmer?" I muttered. Then I heard a thud. I looked over the rail of the wooden top bunk, and there was Elmer, his hand pressed against his face. "You okay?"
"Olive, I's so sorry I woke ya up." He looked up at me.
"It's okay." I told him, stretching. After I climbed down from the ladder, we both sat on his bed. Honeybelle climbed onto my lap and fell back asleep. "How come you's wake up every night?"
"I's used ta sleep in da same bed as my brother, Chris." I confessed. "But since the accident, I ain't been able to sleep well."
"That's horrible." I scooted closer to him in an effort to comfort.
"It's all good." He smiled at me in the dark. "Anythin' on your mind?"
"Yesterday morning, when the Delancey's said I was a 'pretty goil', and you agreed, did ya mean it?" I asked nervously.
"I mean, you's is definitely pretty." He tried to make his voice deep and gruff.
I nodded. "I's seen that ya change your voice sometimes."
He didn't say anything, just grinned.
"When we's went on that walk, you's told me ta keep my head down in a deep voice." I pointed out.
"Ay, I was on edge!" He laughed.
"And with da Delancey's?" I giggled.
"Same thing." He nudged me, startling Honeybelle.
"And now?" I pressed. Elmer's face went into a shade of red, barely visible in the dark.

"I's like ta make myself sound older." He confessed, trying to smooth back his hair.

"I guess dats fair." I shrugged.

"I's wanna show ya somethin'." The black haired boy stood up. I gently took Honeybelle off my lap and stood up as well. He tossed me his cap, and quietly opened the door. I stepped out, and so did Elmer. Once we were outside, we were able to talk. My hair was tucked into the gray hat, and I could almost pass as a boy. "C'mon."

We both walked for a while in silence.

"Where's we goin'?" I finally asked.

"You's is gonna see." He responded, a little smile on his face. Then, while we were walking through Central Park, Elmer stopped. We were standing underneath an American Sycamore tree.

"Ya know how ta climb trees?" He asked. I nodded then kicked my way onto the first branch. Elmer grinned. "Impressive. Watch this." He backed up a little, then ran up. Just before he reached the base of the tree, he jumped. While midair, he caught a branch beside mine and heaved his way up.

"Nicely done." I nodded, a grin spread on my face. I then weaved my way up a few branches, sat down, and peered over to look down at Elmer. He was beaming up at me.

"That all ya got?" He pulled himself up, level with me.

"I can do that!" I grinned and went up a few more branches, Elmer close behind. Soon, we were high in the tree and shrouded by leaves.

"What's ya favorite color?" He asked when we both sitting side by side on a branch.

"Green." I told him lightly. "What's yours?"

"Dark blue." He smiled.

"Favorite food?" I asked.

"Apple pie." Elmer responded, licking his lips jokingly.

"Potato soup." I fired back.

"How's 'bout ya favorite drink?" The black haired boy pressed.

"Apple juice." I grinned. "Yours?"

"Hot chocolate." I noticed that he was shaking a little bit and looking down sheepishly.

"You alright?" I asked.

"Yeah- yeah I's just don't do too well with heights." His dark drown eyes were open wide.

"Maybe we's should head down." I suggested, touching his shoulder lightly.

"Good idea." Elmer gulped, scooting more towards the trunk, then lowered himself down branch by branch. I did the same.

Snap.