XXX.

Chapter 30: Helping Hand

🍪Ellie's P.O.V

I chewed at the end of my pen tiredly, my eyes trying to take in the words that were printed in the book and doing my best to memorize it.

Exams were coming up this week and I had to do my best. Good thing that there were weekends and I'd rather study a few days in advance than the day before the actual exam.

Procrastinating can sometimes be in our favor but I hate doing things the last minute since I don't do well with pressure.

I've been studying since seven in the morning and it's currently two p.m. I covered most of my notes in biology II and I'm only skimming a few details in the book that might come out.

I jumped out of my seat in surprise when the door banged opened. My dad stood there in his cop uniform, a look on his face.

I felt my brows knit in confusion, Dad usually doesn't go home later than eight in the evening and seeing him in broad daylight is a surprise.

"Sweetie, it's good to see you working hard." He strolled in, taking a seat at the edge of my bed calmly.

My gaze narrowed at him, his eyes wandering around my room like it was his first time seeing it. He shuffled slightly in his seat and I knew right then and there what it was.

"What is it this time dad?" I asked, already knowing that he's gonna need my help.

Dad stood up faster than bolt and made his way towards me."I see my DNA has not failed me, I'm proud to say that you are indeed my daughter Ellie."

I let out a laugh at his words, glancing at him."You forgot that it was mom's birthday tomorrow, didn't you dad?"

Just like that, Dad's calm demeanor melted away replacing with a panicked look. His stances changed from panicking to defensive.

"You can't blame me princess! I've been working on quite a tiring case that it totally slipped my mind!" Dad defended, his eyes pleading with me.

"How many times do I have to remind you dad? You can put those reminder app on your phone to a use." I scolded him, standing up from my seat.

This was the distraction that I needed. I could use some time off the give my brain a rest and knowing dad, we'll be off to another escapade.

"I don't do well with technology darling. It hates me remember?" He reminded me, his eyes widening slightly.

How could I forget? Dad absolutely doesn't know how to work his way around his phone. One time, he had mistakenly sent a selfie of his face to their group chat at work instead at mom.

Let's not forget the time when dad accidentally downloaded a picture of a woman from the internet and mom threw a huge fuss when she saw it saved on his photos.

"Fine, I'm willing to help you on this one. What's in it for me?" I grinned cheekily, batting my eyelashes at him innocently.

"I'll buy you any food you want for a month." Dad immediately answered, earning a beam from me.

"It seems that you are indeed my dad dad, You got yourself a deal."