Chapter 22- Once and For All

POV Ciara

The Brooklynites and I turn our millionth corner of the night before we stop to catch our breaths. It has to be 10 or 11:00 o'clock at night and we're sprinting as far away from the Refuge as we can.

After the gunshots and my meltdown, Spot ushered us to book it and cry later.

I glue myself to Spot's side. I'm still shaking and crying from witnessing Sparky's death.

"Princess, it's ok. Yous with me now. You are safe and yous is protected." he assures me, gesturing to the Brooklynites with us.

Besides lanky Flynn, the broad shouldered Brooklynites with us did actually make me feel slightly safer. I wrap my arms around Spot's waist and bury my head into his shirt.

"I's know it's been a long night and we's got a lot ta talk about, but I's need ta give ya some news from a special someone." Spot whispers.

I peak my head up and stare into Spot's glistening blue eyes.

"A little biordy named Jack Kelly knows I came to get yous tonight. And, he wanted me ta tell yous ta meet him at da circulation station. Now listen Princess, I ain't a messenger- I's got my own boys for dat. But dis is a message I don't mind deliverin. And dat stays between us, alright?" he smirks.

Spot talked to Jack? Jack is ok?

What about the deal he made with Pulitzer? Whatever that was.

So many thoughts circulate my head making me dizzy. We turn the next corner and his bodyguards plus Flynn split up to walk in front and behind us giving us protection and privacy.

"Alright. I guess I can keep your secret. But, will you be joining us tonight?" I ask.

Spot clicks his tongue and shakes his head.

"I's may be da king of Brooklyn, but my attendance was not requested at dis little get togetha Kelly's plannin. I's gotta go ta da 'Hatten lodge house ta get Race, Blink, Mush, and Boots ta help his plan follow through."

"His plan?"

"Yeah Jackie boys gotta plan. I's think it's betta if he explains it ta ya when ya get there." he smirks.

"I gotta say though, yous missed it. Kelly really had da fellas goin. He made a deal with Pulitzer and was a scabber. It took him two days, but I's guess he hit his head or somethin cuz his brains is back now." Spot chuckles.

"Jack a scabber? You're crazy Conlon."

"No, I'm serious. Pulitzer got him a suit and stuffed his pockets with money to sell papes and go against us and da strike. I's wanted ta kill da kid. But, he beat up two Delancy's dis mornin when dey was after Sarah and Davey. So- he broke da deal." Spot continued.

"Yeah, Jack as a scabber didn't sound too right. No wonder it only lasted two days. He's a newsie for life. He must of done the deal because he forced or trying to protect us." I suggest.

We continue to walk through the dimly lit streets to find our way back to the circulation station.

"So, uh Flynn told me about Blair. Why didn't you tell me about her crazy ass before? But, I'm really sorry. I should have given you the time of day to explain everything. It was just really hard for me to walk in on it." I apologize.

But Spot shakes his head and rejects my apology.

"Nah Princess, it ain't ya fault. Don't apologize for havin a valid reaction ta my dumbass mistake. I's didn't tell ya bout Blair cuz I's didn't wanna worry yous. I mean, I didn't wanna scare yous off afta I's caught feelings for ya-"