Chapter 38

Around the time of Alex's first birthday...........

Ava's POV

It was seven a.m. in the morning as I stepped inside my room with a big balloon shaped as the number one. Alex was awake by now I knew that.

"Happy birthday baby!" I said.

"Yay." he said raising his arms for me to pick him up. I kissed all over his face.

"You are a big boy. Yes, you are. You are one-year-old bubba." I said. He raised his index finger to show me 'one'.

"Yes, baby one. You are so smart." I said trying hard not to cry. It feels like only yesterday I brought him home from the hospital.

"We will go visit grandma and grandpa today. They need to see how much you have grown now." I said changing him into some new clothes. I made his favorite breakfast, pancakes with a side of fresh berries and he devoured it.

I had already informed Justin that I would be late to work today. Yes, Justin, he was still around and the café was now his as his father died of a heart attack. But he did not hit on me anymore and is in a happy relationship with his boyfriend Elliot. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. They met at a carnival and seemed to be really taken with each other and Justin ended up exploring that and now they are in love. At least I think they are. Life has changed over here Rachel moved away and I couldn't afford a baby sitter anymore, so Alex came with me to work every day. He stayed in the break room and I checked up on him from time to time. Justin has been more than gracious to take me back and also letting me keep Alex around during the day.

I put Alex in the baby carrier and wrapped it around me. I gave him his favorite toy and he laid his head on my chest as we walked to my parents' grave. I greeted and waved along the road as I met people. Everyone was surprised by my return a few months ago. Apparently, the town was told that I was visiting a sick relative somewhere else. I had been briefed about what had happened around the town, at least the stuff related to me by Mario or Marco? Can't quite remember. I reached mom and dad's grave and put the flowers on their grave. I put Alex down and sat down on the grass.

"Hey, mom and dad. Alex baby say Hi. This right here is a big boy. He is one year old now. Can you imagine?" I said.

"I miss you guys now more than ever," I said shedding a tear.

"I wish you two could raise him with me. Watch him grow into an amazing person. I am trying my best. It's just that sometimes it is really lonely." I said looking down.Alex picked up a flower and extended it towards me. He smiled from ear to ear as he stood up holding the gravestone.

"Mama!" he said."Aww baby, you got a flower for mama," I said."Mama!" he said taking a step forward. Slowly he let go of stone and advanced with the flower clutched in his tiny hand. I gasped. He took two steps and was about to fall when I caught him.

"Oh, baby you are walking! You took your first steps. Oh my gosh!" I said as I tickled him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The day rolled along pretty quickly as the café was really busy. Justin and Elliot both got gifts for Alex which were totally unnecessary and I ended up arguing with them. Alex on the other hand was happily unboxing them and was very occupied. We celebrated his birthday with cupcakes and nothing fancy. In the evenings the café had a special attraction where Elliot sang a few songs and his boyfriend looked at him with googly eyes the whole time. He was pretty popular and was booked all most every night.

"Hey everybody! Today's song is dedicated to my buddy Alex who just turned one today. Love you little buddy." he said. Everybody awed as started singing Count on me by Bruno Mars.

I picked up Alex in my arms so he could see Elliot singing across the café.
"Eli!" he said pointing.

"Yes, baby. Eli is singing for you." I said.

"Gosh I love this man," said Justin. I gasped as he covered his mouth.

"Justin!" I said.

"I know. Ughh," he said.

"Have you told him yet?" I asked smiling at him.

"No. We haven't been dating for that long. I don't want to freak him out." he said.

"Justin. You have to tell him. Are you blind? You see the way he looks at you, it is as if you are the only one in his world. Tell him before it's too late." I said.

He looked at me in confusion. "What are you talking about? Late for what?" he asked.

I gulped. "Nothing. Scratch that. What I meant to say is tell him. Don't hide your feelings." I said. What the heck am I saying? Maybe I was channeling my inner regret. But in my case, it was of no use confessing my feelings. He had already broken my heart into million pieces and I still haven't managed to put it together.

"You are right. He has a gig today after this. Maybe I will tag along with him and tell him at dinner?" He said.

"Don't worry and go. I'll close up the café." I said.

"Thanks, Ava. Just keep a tub of ice cream ready in case everything goes downhill." He said.

"Don't say that. Could you help me put Alex in the carrier?" I asked.

"Sure. We are done with the tables, right?" he asked.

"Yes, but that man in the corner table hasn't ordered yet. There the man with the beret and sunglasses." I said.

"Who wears sunglasses at night? Anyways let me help you with the carrier then I'll go take his order."

Elliot's song ended and Justin helped me put Alex's carrier on. He had fallen asleep on my chest which makes finishing up the work easier.

"I'm sorry sir we are closing now." I heard Elliot say.

"I just want a coffee to go. I won't take much of your time." said another voice.

"It's okay Elliot. I got this. Justin is waiting for you outside." I said approaching the front. My guess was right. The man ordering coffee was the one with the sunglasses.

"Great! Bye Ava," he said kissing my cheek.

"Bye," I said smiling."Good evening sir. What can I get you?" I asked politely. The beret on his head obscured most of his face but now he started to look up. He took off his glasses and I gasped.

"You."

A/N: Hi my beautiful friends. So as you know this update was written twice and I'm exhausted. Hopefully I don't forget to keep a backup next time. Let me know your thoughts on the chapter in the comments. I love reading them and try to get back to most of you if not all of you. Make sure to follow me on instagram under the username: aishee.saha , I'm planning to do a Q and A with you guys. Are you guys interested? Let me know...

Until next update.

Lots of love 😘😘😘😘😘
AisheeSaha ❤❤❤❤❤