↠ 36

Back at the cafe, it was sort of empty. Only a couple of customers sitting at tables and sipping on their coffee. You saw that it was Aika and Homura working today. Aika was the first to notice you. "Is something wrong?" She switched to Japanese and you could see she was worried and concerned.

"Y-Yeah." You frowned and replied in the same language. "I ran into Yuki."

Aika's eyes widened a bit. "What?" It looked like she wanted to say something else but stopped herself. "I think you should tell Rei. He's still in his room." She then gestured for you to go upstairs.

You simply nodded and went upstairs. Michael was nowhere to be seen. You assumed he went to get a fresh supply or was in his room. Carefully, you went over to Rei's room and knocked on the door.

"Yeah?" You heard Rei's voice say.

"Rei? I ran into Yuki today." You came out with it. There was no use in beating around the bush.

There was silence and then shuffling came closer to the door. It opened to reveal him. "Come in." He said and retreated back to his desk. Compared to everyone's room, Rei's was the neatest despite the numerous papers on his desk. Most likely articles around town. "Tell me what happened." He took a seat in the chair at his desk.

"I saw her at the campus." You started off, eyes locked onto his face to see if any emotion was expressed. "I followed her and she just started telling me that she wanted a 'family reunion'." You spat it out like it was disgusting human food. "I think she was trying to antagonize me. And I fell for it."

Rei was quiet the whole time but solemnly nodded. "That's okay, Y/N." He leaned back in his chair. "That would probably be my same reaction after not seeing her for a couple of years." Then he locked eyes with you. "Now, care to promise me something?"

You hesitantly nodded, noticing how the atmosphere changed.

"When you fight her, do you promise to let go of the past memories and finally eliminate her?" He didn't show any expression when that sentence came out his mouth. "I do not want to see you hurting again like this if you let her live."

You stayed quiet, disappointed in yourself. It was true. Times you fought her before and happy memories would float in your mind, making you hesitant to kill her. But has she done the favor? No. Not once, you realize.

"I can have Homura eliminate her instead since they're the same types." Rei continued.

"No!" You exclaimed. "I'll do it. I'll finish what I started." You stated. You need to. After what she had done to betray your original family. You owe them this.

Rei slowly nodded. He stood up and walked over to you. "Are you sure? I can always do it or let Homura do it."

"Yes." You managed to say. "I want to do it." You stated but there was an underlying tone underneath it.

Rei awkwardly patted your hand. He was never affectionate with any of you. But he obviously cared for everyone in his own ways. "Alright. I trust you, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks Rei." You headed out of the room, leaving Rei back to work. With the new determination filling you, a smile came upon your face. It was a promise you intended to keep.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Taehyung pouted.

"Yeah I'm okay." You plastered on a bright smile. "I was feeling a little sick yesterday." You explained.

Namjoon peeked from Taehyung's side. "Do you need some medicine then?" Concern was in his expression, eyebrows furrowed and a frown on his face.

"No, it's okay." You said. The professor had just walked in which you sent a grateful mental thanks to. Maybe they'll forget about it. For now. It was only a quarter in the class when your phone started buzzing. Curiously, you slipped it out of your bag to see it was Rei. Rei?