-xxiv. cool kisses

Cottage roads

It was happening. Riley sat on her bed staring intently at the ceiling above her. Hannah sat in the room fixing up her makeup in the vanity mirror. Riley knew what she had to do. She had to tell Hannah about her and Marlene.

After much deliberation between the two, they came to the conclusion that what they felt for each other was something they'd never felt before and they wanted it to last. They wanted to be together but they knew they couldn't keep it a secret. They had to tell their friends. They just had to.

So, Riley sat up and stared at Hannah with a frown. Hannah noticed and turned to face her friend.

"What is it? The lip gloss? I knew it was too
much-" Hannah began.

"No, no. It looks great," Riley cut it.

"Then why do you look so... conflicted?"

Riley sighed and sat on the edge of Hannah's bed that was closest to the vanity. "I have to tell you something and I know you'll be okay with it because we're best friends but it's still very hard to say because not many people support it and-"

"Just spit it out!" Hannah urged. To be honest, Hannah had her suspicions about what Riley was going to say but she didn't want to force anything on her.

"Okay. MarleneandIaredating," she blurted.

"Yeah, I didn't catch any of that."

"Marlene... and I... are... are..."

"Together?"

Riley nodded hesitantly. Hannah then shot up from her seat and cheered. Riley gave her a puzzled look.

"I knew it! Well I knew something was up with you two but it feels great to hear you say it out loud," she exclaimed.

"You knew?"

Hannah nodded happily with a hum.

"And you're okay with it?" Riley asked.

"Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" Hannah asked plopping on the bed next to her friend.

"I don't know, you're the only person I've told-"

"What about Claire?"

"She's with James I think. I'll tell her after. I just- I can't tell my mum. When she found out my cousin was- you know, into guys, she completely cut them all off-"

"And if she doesn't support you then we'll just have to cut her off," Hannah insisted. "You'll live with me. My parents love you and we have plenty of space."

Riley looked at her with a surprised expression. "Really?" Hannah nodded. Riley then tackled her in a hug. "Thank you."

"Anytime. Come on, I'm assuming you'd like to see Marlene as soon as possible," Hannah offered.

As Riley walked down to the common room with Hannah she felt unstoppable. Like even if her mum didn't support her, she'd be completely fine. She had a family here.

"Hello, Miss McKinnon," Hannah called out when she saw Lily, Alice, and Marlene seated on the sofa in front of the fire. Marlene turned around with a beaming smile on her face.

"She knows," Riley told.

"They do too," Marlene confirmed, motioning to her friends who were smiling faintly. Marlene began making her way over to Riley but Hannah stepped in front of her.

"I have nothing against you but I'm the mom friend so it's an obligation on my behalf to have a talk with you," Hannah began, putting up a tough act. "Umm... I don't really know where to start. Okay well first off-"

"Claire!" Riley interrupted.

Claire came down the stairs with a faraway look on her face. She stared at the interaction happening in front of her in confusion. Marlene then walked past Hannah and grabbed Riley's hand. Claire then gave them a nod and smiled.

"As long as you don't break her heart I'm fine with it," Claire told them then offered Lily and Marlene a nod. They both returned it and stood up to walk towards their dormitory. Claire walked out of the common room.

"I was supposed to say that," Hannah huffed. She plopped on the couch.

"We'll be by the Black Lake, Han, you good?" Riley asked. Hannah waved her off.

"Have fun. Not too much fun!" she called out as they left through the portrait hole.

Hannah looked back at the fire and mentally scolded herself. It seemed as though love found someone for everyone except her.

"May I join you?" a deep voice asked from behind her. She looked up at the long-haired boy.

"Why not?"

Sirius Black stared at her briefly but averted his eyes quickly when she looked back at him. "Are you okay? You seem upset," he stated

"I'm perfectly fine, and you?"

"I'm fine."

"Fine."

The silence was brutal. Hannah wanted nothing more than to scream, maybe cry. About what? Nothing. That's the thing. She had nothing to scream and cry about which made her want to scream and cry.

"Why is everyone falling in love this week?" Hannah asked out loud.

"You say that like it's a bad thing-"

"Well look at us, we're not in love. Aren't you at all upset about that?" Hannah question.

"Who says I'm not in love?" Sirius asked.

She scoffed. "Who are you in love with, Sirius?"

"Some things are better left unsaid-"

"No no, enlighten me, I'm very curious," Hannah insisted.

"Okay, but you can't make a big deal out of it. Or say anything hurtful-"

"Oh my god! Just tell me," Hannah said loudly.

He huffed and blurted, "I'm sitting right next to her."

She went quiet. After about ten seconds, she smiled.

Of course, she'd thought about Sirius Black like that! Who hasn't? The only thing stopping her was Lucius. Now he was gone.

She rested her head on his shoulder. "Cool."

"Cool?" he repeated.

"Cool."