Prologue

George was sitting on a tree branch, giggling softly as he watched his best friend, Clay. It was a warm summer evening and Clay's parents let him stay over whilst they worked. Clay would get pretty bored home alone, since he wasn't old enough to go to school yet, but was old enough to be aware of the things happening around him. George didn't mind being friends with a child who was three years younger than him. Clay was a really nice person, age didn't matter in a friendship.

George hopped down from the branch, landing in front of Clay and picking him up, making the five year old laugh excitedly. He grinned in response, walking towards his house with the child in his arms. The house was made out of bricks and stone. It wasn't huge but it was a pretty decent size. Inside of the house stood a furnace, a wooden table with three chairs and a flower laying on the wooden surface of the table. George's mother smiled when she saw the two enter, getting up and pushing a strand of brown hair behind her ear.

The older boy let Clay go, smiling to himself as his friend wandered around the house. George's mother ruffled his hair, her head tilting to the side when she heard footsteps. It was Clay's parents. She opened the door and leaned on the doorframe, letting George go explore with Clay.

"Hello, Anne," The brunette said, watching the two cautiously, "Dame. Any news?"

The taller, blonde haired man, nodded in a disappointed manner, pulling on his white shirt slightly. Anne frowned slowly when she saw her child beaming at George, who was running around with him on his back, "Miriam, I'm afraid we will be moving towns tomorrow."

Miriam turned her head to look at George, her face dropping. "It won't be so bad, Anne," she said empathetically. "Well yes, we are moving to a fairly nice town. But it isn't us we're so worried about, it's Clay." Dame chimed in, his green eyes glinting in the sunlight. Miriam nodded, calling George to them.

George ran towards them, Clay giggling with his arms around George's neck. Anne smiled sadly, running her hand through Clay's soft dirty blonde hair. "George, we need to tell you something," said Miriam gently, biting her lip and wondering how to phrase it. George cocked his head curiously, gazing up at the adults.

"We will be moving tomorrow," Clay's father said, making George's little eight year old heart break. He stared at them, waiting for them to start laughing or admit it was a joke. However, that never came. A dull silence arose, making George's intestines tie up in knots, "I know it's hard, George, but it's not the end of the world. And you will see Clay soon."

"Do you promise?" George squeaked out, his hands tightening around Clay's arms. Anne nodded, sighing slowly. He didn't know what to say. His best friend leaving him - this was the end of the world.

"George, I'd advise you to spend as much time with Clay now, before we leave," stated Anne, watching George immediately speed away with Clay on his back. She turned back to Miriam and Dame, talking for a bit about their plans for the future.

"I can't believe you're leaving," George muttered to the five year old, a frown forming on his face. Clay jumped off of his back, pressing his hand to George's arm. "Don't worry, I'll be back, just like dad said."

George kicked his legs up, groaning at what just happened. "You better," he said jokingly, lifting his head up and gazing at the sunny sky. Clay shrugged, smiling softly. "Yeah I will, I promise."

His gaze met George's, smiling reassuringly and looking up at the sky, watching the clouds move by ever so slowly, wondering where tomorrow would take him.