6

"The Phantom Ruby exerts a ton of energy," (Y/n) said, glancing at the scanner as Sonic ran with her through the trees. She wanted to point out that he was going her pace, which wasn't very fast while trying to scan, but he was slowing down for her, and he'd asked for her help, so she just kept quiet. "It shouldn't be that hard to find unless he stops using it." 

"We've already wasted an hour," Sonic said impatiently. "We have to find the Ruby's signal or Tails will...." 

"Go on ahead," (Y/n) said. "I'll report in with you and give you directions." 

"I'll come back for you." 

"I'm just slowing you down," she said, disobeying her own rule. "I can guide you, and then if you need help, I'll find you." 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes." 

"Okay then." Sonic took off ahead, tuning his communicator to hers. "Alright, where to?" The (a/t) studied the scanner, sweeping nearby areas. 

"Give me one second," she said, turning off his call and instead contacting Knuckles. 

"What do you need?" he asked. "Any luck with Tails?" 

"Not yet. However, I was wondering if you knew where he'd been working before Infinite grabbed him."

"Yeah. He was in Sunset City last I heard of him. Check that area." 

"Got it. Thanks!" She cut the connection and returned to Sonic. "Head to Sunset City. Tails may be in that area or somewhere close." 

"Think you can catch up with me?" 

"If you mind waiting." 

"For you." She waited for him to say something else but he didn't. He'd wait for her? Why? 

So she hurried over to Sunset City, keeping an eye on the scanner. "They're not underground," she whispered as she picked up the signal. "That's not the Phantom Ruby, though. Those are Chaos Emeralds." She frowned. "What are you up to, Infinite?" 

She arrived at Sunset City about a half hour later. "They're moving," she said. "To catch up, you have to go alone. I can follow behind, but if you want to reach them in time, you have to go on your own. Also, look at this." She showed him the scanner. "Those are Chaos Emeralds. The Phantom Ruby's signal is underlying it, so Infinite must have the Chaos Emeralds with him. But why?" 

"I don't know," Sonic said, studying the scanner. His ears dropped and (Y/n) glanced up at him. 

"Something wrong?" she asked. 

"No," he said. "I'll be fine." He shook himself off. "Alright, just guide me. You'll be following from behind, right?" 

"As close as I can. Don't slow down for me." Sonic flashed her a smile, but there was that same worried look underneath. (Y/n) decided to brush it off as the blue blur took off and she followed.

Three hours later, they still hadn't found it caught up with Infinite. "I don't get it!" Sonic yelled, throwing his hands up and pacing in a circle around the clearing. "You've been tracking him all over the place and I've been following, but we can't catch up!"

"I don't know what's going on, but the Phantom Ruby can bend reality," she said, not taking her eyes off the scanner. "Maybe he's confusing us, but it's only been a few hours. Infinite didn't think we'd make it. That can't mean he'd make it so easy."

Sonic darted over to her and peered over her shoulder, trying to get a good look at the scanner. His cheek pressed against hers and she couldn't suppress a soft blush, one of her ears twisting backwards.