Chapter 5

Serendipity POV

Every muscle in my body is sore. Every single one. My neck has a cramp, my back is sore, and I feel absolutely exhausted. 

I try to straighten my back, only to feel something cold and solid underneath me. Maybe a rock? Why would there be a rock under me? I should be in my apartment right now-

Oh. Well, I know one place I’m not at. This is not good. Really really not good. I open my eyes and twist my neck around, feeling my spine correct itself up and down my back. I sit up, running a hand over my hair, feeling some of the too many tangles in it. I rip a hand through all the knots frantically, not paying attention to the hair falling out or the pain making my eyes water. 

I grab a large piece of hair and begin weaving it together, pulling it into a braid. Having hair everywhere is not convenient for times like this. I knot it at the bottom, and push myself up off the rock. 

Only to fall, flat on my face, and feel myself sinking into water. I open my mouth to breathe, only to feel disgusting ‘fresh’ water rush into my lungs. I can breathe fresh water, but this is absolutely disgusting. I look around under the water and check on myself. 

My tail is back. Stercore stercore stercore. There’s no way I can say that I’m not a guardian now. This day is just one disaster after another. 

My scales are covering most of my body, forming over wounds like a human would form a scab. I run a hand down my stomach, feeling the smooth scales catch slightly on my fingertips. It is then when I notice that I am wearing a human bikini. Who put me in this? Because I would like to drown them repeatedly. Stupid humans with their stupid clothes. What happened to my dress? I’m quite fond of my dress. 

Wait wait wait. 

How did my dress get off? It shouldn’t have fallen apart for another two days. Did someone… take it off? Ugh. I cross my arms over my chest, feeling exposed. Guardians do not care about human concepts like modesty, but humans do, and I do not wish them to look at me that way. 

I use my tail to push me the few feet to the surface, keeping my arms tightly crossed over my chest. It looks like I am in a box. The walls are covered in mirrors- all I can see is myself. I spin in a small circle, my panic growing. The thing I was laying on is a rock, and it is the only object in the room. There is no door, no windows, not even a seam in the wall. 

No

Not again. 

My heart begins pounding, and all I can hear is my blood rushing in my ears. I am trapped. In my panic, I begin to call on the waters. I beg it to help me, to get me out of this room. 

The freshwater swirls around me with my rising panic, until there is a storm brewing. I open my mouth and sing to the water, begging it to help me, thanking it for the sanctuary it has always given me from mankind, uniting myself with it. With a rising note, the water begins to pound the walls, repeatedly, until one of the walls begins to crack. 

I whirl around at the song, immediately redirecting all my effort into bashing that one crack, over and over and over until the crack grows. It won’t continue spreading. 

No no no no no. 

I scream and direct all the water at that one crack, relentlessly pounding it. With one final blow the wall collapses, the water rushing out and taking me with it. I roll around in the escaping water, having my body thrown about. The water finally escapes, and I am left on the ground. I finally feel like I can breathe again, and not because I’m no longer under the water. 

I open my eyes and there is a dark skinned man with an eyepatch staring down at me.