| 19 | rumeurs

This chapter is dedicated to Brind2y2

You're the only user who's literally commented on all my chapters and it means the world to me. Be sure to check out her books <3

Immune to all the glares, I step into the board room.

With squared shoulders, I secure a seat at the head of the table.

"Madam Chair, I'm sure you know why you're here," one of the board of directors begins in a sharp voice as the others all wear looks of disapproval.

I wear a blank expression, "Not really,"

"Don't play dumb," Mr. Ricardo spits before he slams a newspaper on the table.

I briefly cast an unbothered glance on the cover of the newspaper before recognizing a picture of Theo and I exiting Devin's club from two days ago.

Mr. Ricardo folds his arms as he sinks back on his chair; his belligerent gaze never leaving mine.

"I can understand why these pictures would raise doubts." I address each director, "But I'm asking everyone to trust it's being handled."

A snicker escapes him.

"And how exactly are you going to do that?" Mr. Ricardo questions in condescension.

It feels like I'm fresh meat among a hostile group of hyenas.

Sulking in a deep breath, I mentally tell myself to keep calm and fight to secure their trusts.

"The World cup is soon on the horizon," I begin while crossing my fingers on the table, "this scandal will be forgotten in a few days after everyone will be back to discussing sports. I'm confident such useless gossips won't affect Varos sales. "

"She's right," one of the female board members concurs as she shifts her gaze towards him, "Varos sales will upsurge with its World Cup sponsorship."

Mr. Ricardo ends up chuckling thereby testing my patience more by the second.

By the time he's able to compose himself, he stares intently at each member.

"How can we be so certain her lack of professionalism won't affect this company's profitability?" he inquires in disbelief. "Last year, OneLife faced many scandals despite being one of the biggest sports brands in the world.

"Nonetheless, they recently generated their lowest gross revenue. So what other excuse do you have Miss Kashmir?"

Some directors nod in agreement.

Before I can refute, another male board member takes his defense, "Varos is ranked among the top 15 of the World's most valuable brands according to Forbes.