Ch38 - The Truth Behind The Strong Magician

Hello! New chapter is here! Please enjoy~
*****************************
Sylvie's POV

What's wrong with him? To be so frightened, why?

Hiiragi seemed to be very scared of something. This was very much unlike his usual demeanor. I could feel his cold hand on mine as he held it. His eyes which I had uncovered from his hair were shaking as they stared into mine.

I found this to be strange since he was not one who would be frightened by anything.

"Hiiragi?"

I called out to him, trying to figure out what was he thinking. His scared face never changed.

".....–go."

"Hmm?"

He muttered something in a quiet voice. I couldn't hear his words at all. Therefore, I tried to urge him to talk once again.

"Hiiragi, what's wrong?"

"Don't....go."

He was practically begging me with that voice. He spoke with such a weak voice that I thought he was not like his usual self. Although I was confused, I still tried to talk to him.

"I won't go anywhere. I just want to ask Roana for some medicines."

His hand still did not let go of mine.

"Please....don't go....don't leave me alone..."

"Hiiragi...?"

As the words left his mouth, his eyes began to pool up tears. Then, without any warning, the tears rolled down his cheeks as his eyes were looking at me as if begging me to stay.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I was surprised to say the least. It was the first time he cried ever since we met. I had never thought he would cry since he struck me as someone who would not cry at all.

I crouched down to his level and stared deep into his eyes which were letting out tears. For someone who was sensitive to negative feelings like me, I could see the deep loneliness, helplessness and insecurities in his eyes. All of that made him seemed to weak despite his overwhelming strength. It made his dominating power seemed like a lie.

"I can't struggle anymore....why, why do I have to do this all alone?"

"Hiiragi..."

I muttered out his name in reluctance. I didn't know what to say at this moment.

"I don't have the strength to protect her alone....just why...why is it so hard..? Why do you have to leave us...? Mom, dad.....I can't do this...."

Hearing his words, now I realized. The truth behind the powerful magician.

Kuro Hiiragi. He was a boy. A normal boy who possessed an abnormal power. He was desperate to protect his younger sister, his only family left. Forced to mature in his early age, he single-mindedly moved forward, leaving his growth to make sure his only family able to grow without being concerned of everything.

His mind was strong yet so frail. Slowly crumbling away, he forced himself to be strong for her sake but failed to keep up with his own body. He actually was wishing for the warmth of his parents, the protection and happiness of being with them but never be able to. The death of his parents made him grew twisted, teen in the body yet child in the mind and adult in the thought.

In the end, he was just a boy who was forced to realized the reality of death in his young age. Pushed by responsibilities, possibilities and dangers. Slowly nearing the edge and on verge of falling yet stood strong on the crumbling ground.