8. You Psycho

"My mother always told me
No monster lived beneath my bed,
But she failed to warn me,
It laid on top of it instead."

~ Erin Hanson

Ace Hardwood was greeted by a bouquet of colourful dahlias at his door that morning

Scarlett's styled brown hair was visible over it.

"Come on in," he said, "I'll take that."

Scarlett followed him to the breakfast counter, where his open newspaper and cup of coffee sat. "You know, if I were an assassin and I was assigned to kill you, I'd just wait for this time and shoot you square in between the eyes, through that window, while you read your paper."

Ace raised his eyebrows at her. "Well, that would mean as an assassin, you'd done your research, so I guess you'd deserve the win."

"You'd be the most boring target, honestly," Scarlett placed her handbag on the counter and sat down in front of Ace, with a huff, "No thrill of tailing you; no chase, no spark. Just a clean bullet to the brain. How boring."

Ace widened his eyes and rolled them. "Should I be concerned that you're trying to kill me?"

Scarlett propped herself up by the elbows and leaned over the counter to bring her face closer to Ace's. "If I wanted to kill you, you'd already be dead." She bit down on her lower lip and flicked her eyes to Ace's lips.

She was gifted in the art of seduction; she had done it many times. Ace Hardwood was probably no different to any of the other men she had met.

He looked bored and fluffed the newspaper on to her face, making her back down into her seat.

"For whom are the flowers?"

"Not your business, Ambrose. You can get yourself a cup of coffee, if you like," Ace sighed, turning the page of his paper.

"Who the hell is this?!"

Scarlett turned her head to see who the commanding voice came from and saw a petite girl with a pixie cut, standing in between the living and dining area, staring daggers at her. She was caught off guard.

"Chel –"

"You're such a jerk, Ace," she snapped, "I thought we had a good time! I haven't even left and you've brought in," she looked at Scarlett disgustedly, "This."

Scarlett raised her eyebrows.

"I'm done. I'm leaving," she stomped her heel against the tile and trudged out.

Ace's eye moved from the direction the girl had gone to and then back to Scarlett. "You should be here all the time. I was starting to fear that she wouldn't leave."

"Are you cheating on that other girl, you douchebag?" Scarlett demanded.

Ace looked confused. "Which other girl?"