09

Jenny was a person that, usually, brightened someone's day but now Jenny had found the person that brightened her day. She was so blissful it was as if she was like the sun with Elijah in her life.

They were officially dating. They still met for coffee like usual but now bouquets of flowers were frequently sent to her at work and Elijah even showed up at the high school bringing her lunch. They went on another date, but, this time it was at her house and she was the host.

"My father taught me how to cook," she said as she chopped the peppers while Elijah was diagonal to her across the counter chopping the onions. Elijah had insisted he be put to work.

Elijah noticed the faraway look on her face accompanied by a smile, "Your father was a good man if he raised you."

She blushed as she gave him a look before she agreed, "My father was a good man. He was my whole world, my dad, and in ways he still is. I'll never forget all the things he taught me or stop missing him."

It was silent for a moment before she directed the subject to him, "I know you say you don't have a good relationship with your father. Why?"

"The half-brother I mentioned was the result of an affair my mother had," Elijah explained. "My father's weakness is his pride so he...disowned my brother and I would not leave my brother alone."

"Would?" Jenny caught his past tense. "Have you abandoned your brother now?"

"Let's just say he abandoned me and the rest of my siblings," Elijah stated, his voice tight, and thought about how Niklaus suddenly left him decades ago and made him think their siblings were lost at sea.

Jenny nodded with a frown, "I'm sorry."

Elijah stoically responded, "It was long ago."

_____

After they finished eating, Jenny and Elijah were doing the dishes. She washed and he dried. Every moment they shared was so seamless and easy like they were two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly.

"When you said you're father taught you to cook, you didn't tell me he made you an excellent cook," Elijah commented.

"Well, being excellent is to the eye of the beholder," she handed him the last dish as their arms brushed. He dried it quickly and put it on the stack of plates.

She looked up at him as he turned to her, "So was this a good second date?"

"Any time I spend with you is good," he cocked his head at her and smirked as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I just have the lucky fortune of labeling this particular time a date."

"You act as though you're the only lucky one."

"Not as lucky as me," he trailed his thumb down her jawline and her breath hitched. Their eyes connected and his searched hers before he leaned in. She knew what he was going to do before he did it; maybe he sensed her hesitation because he leaned towards her slowly.

She turned her head away as she uttered quietly, "Not yet."

He pulled away from her and took a step back. She ran her hand through her hair in frustration, "I don't want you to think that I don't...it's just it's been awhile since I've done this. And I don't when is the right time but I don't want to move too fast."