Season 2 - Down in the Tunnels

"Okay, yeah."

I nodded at Dustin who was loading the trunk with goggles and bandanas for everyone; protective gear. We also had rope, flashlights, gasoline, and a gas tank with a hose attached.

"Someone grab Steve's backpack!" I yelled into the house where Max and Lucas still were. "And the bat!"

We weren't going into this with a set plan, our only intention being that we were going to set that tunnel on fire.

"Where do I put the gasoline?" Mike asked me from the backseat where we had already shoved a still-unconscious Steve. We had run out of space in the trunk to put it.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "On your lap?"

Mike grumbled something and shut his door as Dustin walked around to the other side and got in.

"Got it!" Lucas shouted, running out with Steve's backpack. The bat was safely inside and I thanked him quickly, sliding my lighter from earlier inside. I placed it into the trunk and closed it as Max ran outside, too, a map and ice pack in her hand.

"Perfect," I told her, walking to the driver's door and getting in. Lucas and Max squeezed in the passenger seat together with the map on their laps. She handed me the ice pack, and I leaned back to give it to Dustin. "Hold this to his head. Chances are, when he wakes up, he's gonna have a massive headache."

"I still say we leave him here," Mike complained. Steve was practically on top of the two with his head on Dustin's shoulder.

"We're not leaving anyone behind," Dustin told him.

"All I'm saying is," Mike continued. "When he wakes up, he's gonna be pissed."

"Well, we'll just have to deal with that when we get there, won't we?" I turned back to the wheel and put the key into the ignition, the car revving to life. It was a beautiful car, nicer than Steve's, and I quickly glanced at everyone before pulling out. "Everyone good?"

They all nodded, so I put the car into reverse and steered it to face the driveway. I then put it back into drive and we were off to Hopper's tunnel.

"Right on Dale," Lucas told me as I got onto the main road. The car was mainly silent, the only disturbance being the gentle humming of the engine and the sloshing of the gas in the container.

I swung a right on Dale Street, as Lucas instructed, and drove quicker down the street. This late, no one was on the roads anymore, so it didn't matter my speed.

"(Y/n)?" I heard from the backseat, making me look up into the rear view mirror to look at Steve who had just woken up.

"I'm right here," I said, concern coursing through my veins when he groaned.

"No, don't touch it," Dustin said, catching Steve's wrist when he tried to touch the spot where the ice pack met his head. "Hey, buddy..."

Dustin began shushing him, even though he wasn't saying anything, and I narrowed my eyes at him through the mirror.

"What?" Dustin defended. "It's comforting."

"Dustin-"

"It's okay, you put up a good fight," Dustin turned his attention back to Steve. "He kicked your ass, but you put up a fight. You're okay."

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile," Lucas told me.

"Then make a left on Mount Sinai," Max nodded.

"What's going on?" Steve asked. His voice was strained and tired, and for some reason I couldn't focus properly on anything else but him. I looked back and touched one of my hands on his knee.