55

It was a month past the arrest and locking up of Tan, Hallie, and Luke. They refused to speak with anyone besides Calix and Kegan, but Calix wouldn't go speak with them, worried he'd lose control and murder the three if he tried.

The pack house was tenser than it'd ever been. No one was speaking and the heavy weight of anger hung in the house, making the children not dare to leave their parent's rooms. Even Astra had barely dared to leave her room, sensing the anger and potential outbursts that could come from anyone else in the pack.

Kegan also hadn't really left his room, but his reasoning did not lie with the intensity in the house. As the pregnancy continued, Kegan got weaker and more tired. His stomach was getting heavier, the pups growing bigger and bigger every day. He only left his room when he wanted to visit Calix in his office, get food, or when he had a doctor's appointment to monitor him and make sure that whatever he was injected with hadn't changed anything in him.

The morning sickness sucked, but it was a paradise compared to the unease that Kegan felt whenever Calix came back to their room after his Alpha duties, seeming tense at than he had when he left.

Calix hadn't been the same since the arrest of their pack mates. He couldn't believe that one of his childhood friends and top warrior was a traitor, and after seeing Tan hold a knife to Kegan's neck, he refused to see the prisoners. It wasn't good for any Alpha to terrify his pack through murdering someone without the trial and determined consequence being execution.

He was currently in his office, paperwork piled high on the desk in front of him. Calix knew he needed to get to work, but there was no motivation behind it. The heavy weight of tension in the pack house was weighing down any motivation and excitement in the job.

Truthfully, Calix loved his job as an Alpha. The paperwork didn't bother him, he got the talk and meet with people from other packs, but the weight of his own inner pack drama and issues were overwhelming.

He had only left the pack a few times, primarily to strengthen alliances with other packs should they be attacked, but there weren't many issues. Calix had grown up visiting other packs with his parents and he was always professional and admired by other pack Alphas and Lunas.

Sighing to himself, Calix pulled out a file and opened it up, before closing it seconds later. It was the file that Kai had put together on Tan, highlighting the potential danger he could be to the pack and the evidence behind it. Calix knew that the situation regarding Tan was among his priorities, but every time he tried to open the file, he remembered how distraught Kegan was and how angry the situation made the whole pack.

No one pressured him to go talk to their prisoners, so Calix refused to do it until he was completely ready. There had been no attempts to escape or issues regarding their prisoners, but that didn't mean anything to Calix. He'd wait until they tried to escape to address them. At least then he'd have a reason to beat the shit out of Luke. He didn't believe Tan would betray them on his own, so he primarily blamed Luke.

There was a knock at the office door, making Calix turn and knock the stack of files off of his desk. He groaned, dropping his head on the wooden surface.

The door opened, and Kegan walked in with a tray in his hand. "I'm sorry," he said, wincing and looking at the papers that had fallen on the ground. "Eat lunch and I'll pick those up."

"No," Calix said as Kegan set down the tray on the table in the middle of the room that Calix had put in for meetings. "You're pregnant."

Kegan scoffed, leaning down and lifting up some of the files. "I'll be okay," he said, stacking the papers on the edge of the desk. "You didn't eat breakfast, and as your mate, it's my responsibility to make sure that you're healthy enough to take care of our kids when they show up. Speaking of which, I scheduled an appointment for later today so they can tell us gender and how many, if you're available."