18- Longing

ANOTHER MOTEL

ANOTHER MOTEL. That was where the six were staying, this one possibly more run down than the last. They had arrived here after trading in Dicks Porsche for a minivan (Fox thought it to be a bad decision on his part but supposed it was a tad more practical), and returning Fox's rental vehicle. All of them traveled together now, and Veronica wasn't sure if it would end well or not.

At least, not between Fox and Dick, who currently bickered.

"I can't believe you traded in the Porsche for a minivan." Fox sighed, and Gar nodded his head in agreement.

"Yeah, man."

Dick looked out the rear-view mirrors, making sure no one was following them, "This we can all fit in." He reasoned.

Veronica could agree with that, but then again, she never really gave much of a crap about card. She looked out the window to her left. She'd never been fond of motels, constantly worried about bed bugs or other things. It seemed juvenile since she'd spent some of her years living on the streets, but perhaps that was exactly the reason for the paranoia.

"I like the van." Kory defended the old car, and Dick nodded appreciatively.

"We're not actually staying here, are we?" Rachel asked, echoing Veronica's exact thoughts. She hoped to god not.

"Y'know, there's probably a nicer place down the road." Kory reasoned, and Dick shook his head.

"We're being hunted by sociopaths." Dick deadpanned.

"He's got a point," Veronica chimed in, "Nicer places draw attention."

"Nicer places also make it easier to sleep." Kory countered. Dick shook his head still.

"One road in, one road out. Only one point of access we have to watch, and also," He turned to look out the window, "It's quiet. Trouble comes our way, we should hear it first." He unbuckled his seat belt and opened his door, "And who said anything about sleeping?"

"Me! I did! I need my beauty rest, man." Fox whined, and Veronica gave him a look. He returned it, "What? I barely run on any sleep as it is!"

The woman just rolled her eyes, and got out of the car as well. Dick raised a brow at her, questioning why she was coming without actually asking, and she sighed.

"Is it a crime to want to get out of that cramped ass car, Grayson?"

He raised his hands up in surrender and began to walk to the main office, the woman following his lead.

Inside was covered with miscellaneous objects of all sorts, some on the wall and others on tables or the desk. Behind the woman at the counter there read a sign that stated the pool was closed, and a large eagle hung on the wall.

The second they stepped in the woman's face lit up. "Hi there! How can I help you?"

"Hi," Dick greeted, "Could we get six rooms please? Preferably all close to each other?" He asked, a friendly expression on his face.