[ Chapter 23 - A Prideless Action ]

"Again?"

I still could not believe the words that had just left Ace's mouth. 

He continued to speak but the rest of the things he was saying did not register in my mind. I could see his mouth move but I couldn't hear anything.

"Can we please not joke about things like this?" I started to shake my head, giving him a disappointed look. 

I was expecting him to start smiling and laughing like how he usually does when he tries to pull a trick on me but he didn't. Instead, he continued to look at me with both pain and concern. 

Before coming here I made a mental pact with myself that I was not going to cry. If only I knew he was going to break up with me, I wouldn't have made that promise. 

I still tried to contain my tear but it gave away after a few seconds. Tears started to stream down my cheeks and I began to sob. I knew I looked like a mess. I cried even harder when Ace wrapped his arms around me. 

I wanted to push him away and scream at him but instead, I stayed still. If this was going to be our last hug, I wanted to enjoy every last second of it. It was only when he pulled away from me that I began to talk again.  

"Tell me you're lying," I begged.

"Tell me that's just another joke," I wiped my tears away with my arm roughly. 

I was not a pretty crier, I knew that for sure. 

"Listen to me," Ace said in a soft voice but I didn't give him any time to explain.

"Is there something wrong with me? Is that why Abigail was here? Is she the new girl you love? Am I not enough? Did I do anything wrong?" I sounded like a kid who was about to throw tantrums. 

This was not like me. I knew how to think logically, I was smart and rational but this guy, this man, turned me into the mess I was right now. He made my brain weak and my heart strong, he made me irrational, uncalm, unwise. 

He taught me how to fall in love. 

I bet if I was sorted to a house right now, I would not fall into Iota at all. 

He fixed my hair and waited for me to calm down again before he started to speak. 

"No," he laughed a little but the pain in his eyes was still apparent. 

"Gail, is my cousin, don't you already know that? She was here because she wanted to tell me about the risk I was taking on if I continued this case."

"She said a  few words and now you're dropping it?" I scoffed.

If he drops the case, it was going to be worst than our break up. He was my only hope in helping Edward get his justice, he knew politics better than me, he had all the right resources and all the right help. We wouldn't have even been able to meet Edward if it was not for him.