~ 47 ~

Maria stared blankly at the boxing ring standing before her, and the word confusion was an understatement to describe how she felt at the moment.

She was unsure what part puzzled her the most; the way a boxing ring sprouted from the ground like a programmed device or that this was what Jayden planned on presenting to her.

Her gaze shifted to the figure standing in the middle of the ring, wondering what the blonde man wanted from her. "What is this all about?" She asked without moving further anymore, giving another suspicious scan across the place as though trying to find more clues.

Jayden turned to look at her from his position, revealing the punching gloves he had picked up from the floor. The sight of the heavy mittens only made Maria question his intentions even more.

Were they going to have a match together? Hell no. She could keep up with anything as his doctor but definitely would not stand in as a fighting opponent.

"Won't you come up here?" He motioned to the center of the ring where he was standing, showing impatience at her lack of reaction.

"Why? So that you can punch me in the face?" she returned immediately, not quite sure if she was being sarcastic or not.

His head tilted backward at her ridiculous comment, his eyes squinting slightly as he regarded her with amusement. "Yes. That is exactly what I plan to do." He voiced and climbed down from the space effortlessly.

Maria took a step backward when she noticed he was walking toward her, taking his joke rather seriously. "Really?" Her eyebrows rose with curiosity.

He stopped right in front of her, gazing down at her with disbelief. "You must really have a bad impression of me, don't you?" he questioned, raising his brows slightly as he gazed down at her with a look she couldn't decipher.

She shook her head in denial. Her words were forced back before they could even come out when he handed out the pair of thick gloves toward her. "Put them on," Jayden added with a soft command, gesturing for her to take hold of them.

Maria eyed him uncertainly, waiting for some clarification as her gaze traveled to and from the mittens and him. She wasn't entirely sure of his plans. "What are these for?" she asked, her voice coming out strained.

"I thought it was obvious," he returned instead. "You are starting your personal training today."

"Personal what?" Her jaw dropped, confusion evident through the tone of her question. She stared at him in bewilderment as though trying to understand the whole idea behind his request. "Train me for what? Am I going on an undercover mission or what? Please tell me that was not part of the contract." Her words had more to them, her frustration showing through her speaking.

"I'm training you for something worse." He stated without elaborating, watching her for some response.

"...What?" 

"Stalkers." He hissed the word out quietly, his choco eyes narrowing to slits as he stared at her with unbridled intensity.

His response left her with a soundless gasp, not sure how to react properly to his action. "Are you serious right now?" She finally managed to ask, her tone dripping with skepticism. "Do I have something written on my face saying I am the victim of a stalker?" She added, making a face as though it was utterly ludicrous.

"What about what happened last time?" Jayden pointed out with a slight tilt of his head, still staring at her intently.

Maria looked away to recall the events of the night he was probably talking about. That had been a week ago already since the assault incident with Eric.