Chapter Eleven

The room wasn't familiar this time. It appeared to be the same dungeon or underground area that I'd walked into before. A dim yellow bulb illuminated the place, and I was lying on the concrete floor with nothing but a jug of water left on the side. My legs felt numb and fractured. I couldn't move them an inch even if I tried, but it was covered in plaster so a doctor was allowed to do this, and that meant there were some people working under the Montgomery's who chose to remain silent, maybe they had a family doctor who took care of all the dirty work for a hefty payment.

I ran a hand through my hair and it felt greasy. My stomach growled as I realized I must have starved for a long time. Unfortunately, the room did not even have a window, so it wasn't possible for me to guess if it was daytime or night. Days could have passed as I lay here in this prison. Perhaps I'd slipped into a coma, I couldn't tell.

The pain in my legs was worse than before and even though I hadn't seen Dayana hit me, I was positive I'd heard her voice. She'd hit my legs repeatedly with the bat.

These people were monsters. They had made sure that I couldn't plan an escape for another few weeks. They enjoyed feeding off weakness and fear, and that's the last thing I wanted to give them. I could pretend to obey their orders and strategize my next move.

Just then, I heard the locks turning, so I backed up against the wall.

It was Devin who walked through the door, followed by a maid holding a tray in her hand. She didn't even blink when she saw me on the floor, as if this was a daily occurrence and something that was not worth dwelling upon. The aroma of food entered my nostrils, and it made hunger even worse. I could kill for a morsel of the food on that tray, and that's exactly what they wanted; for me, to be starved and desperate for food that I'd agree to do anything.

He sat down on the floor a few feet away from me, a stoic expression hanging on his face. His apple-green eyes studied me warily. Unlike the few times I'd seen him before, he wore casuals and he looked relatively younger like some attractive man I'd see walking down the street, and not the powerful man in control of a billion-dollar conglomerate that I'd met on the first day.

Devin waved a hand of dismissal at the maid. "You may leave now, Penelope." He said sweetly.

Penelope bowed and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. He held the tray of food in his hand. I sneaked a peek inside the plate and there was chicken roast indeed, with mashed potatoes and a thick piece of oozing lasagna.

You're fucking kidding me! This was torture, knowing he wouldn't let me have food. He might have just brought it down here to tease me with it.

"You're hungry, aren't you?" Devin asked me in the same voice that dripped of honey.

I glanced away; I couldn't stand looking at it anymore.

I didn't answer him.

"Susan told me you loved lasagna."

"I would have also loved to see you dead." I retorted.

He laughed the way one would laugh at a joke that their best friend cracked. "You're funny, Millie, and I like the fact that you're still strong regardless of the situation you're in. We've had employees crying and begging for their life. I'm glad we took you on board."

"What do you want, Devin?" I asked.

The tray of food careened over to me when he gave it a slight push.

"Eat your chow. We'll talk after that." I stared at the plate of food in front of me.

What if he'd poised it or planned to drug me with it?