20

It was a little past lunchtime when I returned to my room

It was a little past lunchtime when I returned to my room. It took me a lot of willpower and if not for the obvious growling of my stomach, I would have stayed under the sun and read till moonlight. Just as I had predicted, my plate of lunch lay untouched on the table, my stomach grumbling in protest as I walked past it. 

The Lion's Heart was an amazing book. Possibly the best piece of writing I'd ever read. It told the tale of how a young man called Aeschylus, born into poverty, climbed his way up the social ladder and became the King of his land. His success did involve a lot of betrayal, lies and secrets- even murder. It reminded me of Macbeth, one of the first works of Shakespeare I'd read. Though, Aeschylus' motives and tactics were much controversial than Macbeth's and left me with a billion questions I needed to ask Carlos. 

I dropped the book on my night stand and was prepared to fall back against my bed until I saw it. A white note had been laid strategically on my pillow. Curiosity overcame me as I picked up the note and unfolded it. 

I know you probably have a lot of questions. Library. 8pm. 

-C

I didn't know how to feel. I was excited to visit the library again, plus, I had a billion questions for Carlos that needed to be answered urgently. Despite The Lion's Heart being an amazing book, it was extremely confusing. But, I did feel wary. Private meetings with the Prince after hours were definitely prohibited and I couldn't risk getting sent home. It felt like a huge risk, yet, I could feel the excitement bubbling in my stomach. 

*** 

"I have a billion questions for you," I said, once I had entered the library. Prince Carlos was seated in one of the library's armchairs, an emerald velvet book in hand. He hardly looked like up from the book as he replied, "Someone like you would obviously have a lot of questions."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, plopping into the armchair opposite him. On a table was a plate of jam scones. My mouth watered instantly, despite just eating dinner. 

"Go ahead," Carlos motioned at the plate and I obliged happily. 

"First of all, does Aeschylus really like Ophelia- or is he just using her to get to her father?" I asked desperately. 

Carlos finally put the book down and his features contorted into a different version of himself. His green eyes were bright and animated, his mouth moving at lightning speed. "I think it was the other way around. Ophelia was very spoiled and when her father put her on house arrest, she desperately needed a way to get back at him. Hence, her relationship with Aeschylus." 

I paused, "That's...actually very logical. But Aeschylus is still betrothed to Dimitra, why would he betray her trust?" 

"Aeschylus wasn't oblivious to Ophelia's plans to get back at her father, so he decided to use her as well," Carlos explained. 

"That's quite messy," I rolled my eyes. 

"Do you think Aeschylus is a hero or a villain?" Carlos asked, his green eyes meeting mine like he was excited for my response. 

 "In my opinion, Aeschylus' motives are pure. Being high on the social ladder is overrated anyway. Why can't people just be happy with life as it is?" I asked, my eyes connecting with Carlos'. 

"I've never heard a Lady- or anyone speak like that," Carlos said, looking surprised. 

"I think we've established the fact that I'm not a Lady," I sighed, popping yet another jam scone in my mouth. I didn't even realize how much I had eaten- I had finished them all. 

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, in between munches. 

"Never seen a Lady eat like that, either. How did you survive?" Carlos asked, looking amused. 

"You tend to become deaf to the reprimands eventually," I shrug. "It took a lot for me to agree to come here, seeing as we didn't have a choice." 

"I'm guessing you didn't want to be a part of this," Carlos raised an eyebrow. I must have been the first female he'd met that didn't want to be married to him. 

I shook my head. "I like having a choice. Besides, we weren't exactly the best of pals before this." 

Carlos is silent for a while before speaking. "For that I apologize. Though, I don't see myself married to any of the Ladies present at the competition." 

My eyes widened in surprise. I would have thought he would at least be interested in Esme, or Ashley- or even Fiona. 

"Why is that?" I asked, dusting the crumbs off my skirt. 

"They all seem the same to me. I don't picture myself actually having a happy life with them," Carlos shook his head. "I shouldn't be telling you this." 

An awkward silence passed between us until I couldn't stand it any longer. 

"Are there any wonders in this library I don't know about?" I asked, desperately trying to fill the silent void that had grown between us. 

Carlos rose from the chair and walked deeper into the library while I followed curiously. "I was meaning to show you this but it slipped my mind." 

Carlos motioned to an impeccably painted picture of a man, his bloody hands reaching for a golden crown as several onlookers watched. 

"It's Aeschylus!" I exclaimed. "He's reaching for the crown and the blood on his hands depicts his crimes." 

Carlos turned to me with a smile, something that looked entirely foreign on his face. "It's one of my favorite paintings in the palace." 

"It's absolutely beautiful- who made this?" I asked, running my fingers along the canvas. 

"The painter is unknown, but I suspect he must've been a relative of my mothers. The book was passed down from generations of her family." 

"And this must be Ophelia," I said, pointing to the beautiful woman drown with flowing golden hair. She stared at Aeschylus' hands in awe. 

"And this is Dimitra," Carlos motioned at the woman dressed in black, painted less extravagantly than Ophelia. 

"Why is she wearing black though?" I asked. 

"She's mourning the death of the man she used to know. She was one of the people who didn't accept Aeschylus as King because of the crimes he'd committed," Carlos explained. 

"Now that I think of it, I'd much rather be Dimitra than Ophelia," I laughed, remembering how Ophelia was beheaded by Aeschylus as a result of her pregnancy for another man. 

Carlos chuckled, his eyes meeting mine. I hated to admit it but I was actually having fun. 

Last chapter for the day

Last chapter for the day. What do you think of Carlos and Madeline? 

Anyhoo, school starts in 3 days and I'm really dreading it, ugh! Don't forget to vote, share and comment. Ly!