𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎.

inconsistency may have to be one of edye's biggest pet peeves

inconsistency may have to be one of edye's biggest pet peeves. she was finding it hard to understand everything or even how to feel. she felt numb, maybe even stupid for letting her mother in. this wasn't supposed to happen. she was supposed to be proven wrong.

in the last twelve hours she had everything figured out. her mother had a long history of things edye knew not a clue about. she was what some may call a gold-digger in her old days. so shanice chased everything money. her dad, antoine was an aspiring athlete and shanice took full advantage of that. once they were together, she was nothing but controlling and manipulative.

when antoine noticed she was getting in the way of his dreams, he tried everything he could to break up with her. yes, one method was of him cheating but shanice's best revenge was trapping him with a baby. they got married regardless for edye in hopes of having a perfect family for the future and putting the past behind.

unfortunately, marriage couldn't fix their carless mistakes. between the regrets and arguments, a divorce was bound to happen. antoine would often share his love or have affairs with many women to make up for the years he lost being with shanice. he was then misunderstood into being this cheating husband or man that broke up relationships.

he just wasn't aware of the drama that would follow him but luckily had a job that required him to live certain places to escape it and start over. shanice and antoine lost contact for a while until an old friend brought up antoine's new facebook to her. shanice wasn't having it. on top of their whole past, shanice couldn't stand to see her ex husband happy with his new girlfriend and high paying job.

edye felt duped into thinking her dad was in the wrong for the divorce when her mother easily was too. she had toxic ass parents with very big prides. she refused to be like them.

"you good?" fourthgrade asked as he and ray glanced at edye, snapping her out of her trance. she had come to skate with them but everyone noticed her mind may have been somewhere else. so far no one knew that she knew the truth about her family.

edye groaned, avoiding any eye contact with them. "i'm so tired of that question. i'm fine! i've always been fine." she didn't want anyone to see her like this hence why she was glad fuckshit was father way skating in front of a crowd. of course she'd tell him sooner or later but for now she just wanted a clear mind.

"edye.." fourthgrade trailed off, caught off guard by her aggression. he knew that it was bound of her to reach a breaking point and was always on edge.

"what? it turned out for the best. turns out she just wanted money," she shrugged it off as she continued to skate. "nothing i can do about that. besides, it's not her first time leaving so i don't really care."

ray quickly shook his head, stopping his friend then and there. "blood don't always mean family."

"it's just that i'm always looking for shit that's not even there so i don't know what i was thinking. my dad even warned me and that says something!"

"don't you blame that shit on you. it wasn't fair of her to come in your life like that to leave again. i know it's hard but brush that shit off. you've been fine without her this whole time." ray promised her. he didn't like seeing edye in so much defeat lately and he was starting to see that fuckshit was right about edye always going through something. he definitely thought she was strong.

"i don't know.." she sighed.

"it's okay to feel but you gotta stop being hurt at some point. just learn from it. now we know you'll never be that person."

。˚༷。˚༷ ♡‧₊˚

"i'm glad you could stay with me tonight. i don't usually have friends spend the night. well except aramis or ray." wynter smiled as she laid on her bed. she figured edye needed a break from her household and invited her over.

"of course. i don't either to be honest," edye shrugged, looking over at her friend. she was appreciative of wynter asking her to stay over. "you know, i didn't realize you were this girly. like badass wynter who?"

wynter laughed, pushing edye playfully. "oh shut up, i am a badass."

"nah, exposing people don't count."

"yeah, you've been around ruben too much." wynter shook her head in disbelief.

"okay, true." edye laughed at herself before starting to get serious. "question, did it ever truly bother you how mean i was? like nothing bothers you and i need to know if it's just a front."

"it's not even that.. i guess i'm just numb to a lot of things. i normally feel empathy and compassion for others but when it comes to feeling for myself i'm actually really numb. it's weird but i guess it's what makes me this badass as everyone thinks." she shrugged, messing around with her braids.

"i can understand that."

wynter turned to face edye as if it'd make her hear what she had to say more clear. "you really put your feelings out there, edye and i admire that cause i could never."

"you see it that way? my mind is mostly all over the place." edye furrowed her brows as something clicked. she turned on her side, propping herself up on her arm. "but in all honestly, i'm glad you're hanging out with us. i really couldn't imagine if you didn't. our friend group just wouldn't be complete."

"i appreciate you telling me that."

"i really mean it.. you're like the sister i've never had." edye's eyes slightly watered as she realized how much she cared for wynter. she saw her best friendship with her and maybe that's why she was too hesitant at first. it was obvious edye didn't like being an inconvenience for someone.

edye was starting to realize her feelings were just being put to the test this summer. it was more than finding love but rather friendships or platonic soulmates. it's what she needed the most, stability, and her friends gave her that.

"fuck, you got me tearing up," wynter laughed as she hugged edye tightly. "you can't come over here no more."

✩*⢄⢁✧ --------- ✧⡈⡠*✩
double update tonight <33