5.

Black Roses.

The suit he had got for me was in a word amazing. Being a black male who couldn't pull off too many colors in any type of clothing I felt pretty good in what I was wearing. I knew he was trying to get me to apologize but it wasn't going to work. I was mad at him and I wanted the slightest hint of an apology from him but I knew it was futile the man was a brick wall reinforced by titanium he wouldn't budge.

"Let's go Mel we're going to be late and I'm not leaving you here alone." A heavy sigh and a bit of leg dragging I was pulled out the door. I knew all too well that tonight like always I would have hyenas glaring at me.

"Sir is there anywhere in particular, you want to stop by." Nolan asked and I shook my head to answer him no. "Take us to the Markol Mansion then." The drive was silent much like the drive to work in the morning. The only difference was the change in tactic by Hugh setting his head on my lap.

He had the habit of doing it when he was stressed by business or like now pissed me off, it would force me to talk to him but this time I wasn't going to and that was a promise I made to myself. I would crack but not crumble.

"Will you talk to me already I feel lonely without my best friend, I know I was a dick but how long will this go on, what do you want me to do ?" I kept myself out of reach and silent. Even though it took all my will power not to just run my hands through his hair.

"Say something, Mel." He was going to blow soon enough if I kept on like this and I'm not sure I wanted to get to that point.

"Fine be mad, I will get you to talk to me again whatever it takes." He sits upright as I fold my hands over my chest. I just wanted to be over with tonight and be in my bed sleeping or reading a book where actual love exists. Justin would probably blow up my phone with memes and the latest failure at getting laid. I wanted that completely it was an escape from this life.

"Sir we're here and it seems several mafia heads have also attended in their guise as businessmen." The driver spoke and I was immediately pulled back to reality. I didn't want anything to do with the bloody mafia because I knew a certain someone would get Hugh riled up because he wanted me. I get out of the car hoping he's not here.

Hugh had opened the door for me and I knew for public appearances my arm had to be interlocked with him and that was a violation of my personal space as it is but if I tried to remove it, being stuck in the penthouse all day would drive me nuts.

So I walked head held high, the sweet nightmare that was my best friend holding me close with a firm grip on my waist as he greets businessmen and mafia heads alike.

"Hughey darling you're here!" She screeched speed walking toward us, her floor-length dress with an open slit from the waist flowing gracefully, though she was beautiful Hugh had never found interest in her and she annoyed the shit out of me.

The two share slight kisses to the cheeks. "Oh and you brought the stunning Arthur, oh my honey you look gorgeous." She smiles doing a once over toward me her smile never faltering. I simply nod and look away. "Oh what did you do Hugh?"

"He won't talk to me June, we had a fight."

"Oh better fix it Hugh, but if it's not that bad I'm sure some boxes of chocolates will fix it, It always worked for me." Like that would work on me bitch.

"I'm sure to try it soon." She nods. "Well enjoy the party and I will see you later." Hugh does not seem to catch on to her flirting as she fixes the already perfect tie on him. Somehow the black rose design on my suit matched his tie. If only he did it as a gesture of love or something meaningful, I knew it was to get me to apologize.

The talk with June goes on for a while until she leaves, and the unfortunate man she drapes her arm over has a scowl on his face clearly showing his lack of enjoyment of the company he's been graced with.

A business associate I recognize calls Hugh over to him and he lets me go. Relief washes over me as he walks away from me. I walk around trying to find the perfect spot to hide away and slip out later so that I can walk back to the car and just stay there until all this is done.

"Hello my dear Mel fancy meeting you here." There he stood the man who made my gut wrench wanting to spill all that I had consumed. I hated Marko because of his relentless courting and weird love proposals. I knew he was a dominant and all those who dated him needed a psych evaluation before and after being with him.

"Hello Marko and before you ask no I won't dance with you." The crowd seemed to have noticed as he held out his hand for me to take it. I hated it but I had no choice. "That's a good boy, you know Mel I could treat you better than that Latino boy over there, I can give you everything and more if only you would accept me." We dance vigorously as he leads the tango.

I'm twirled around and drawn back. "And why would I sell my soul to the devil." Firmly we move apart and he let's go of my left hand twirling me again drawn back and draping my right leg over his powerful left one he sways me in a dip.

"I'm, not the devil Mel, both you and I know who that is and I'm sure you agree. Think about it Mel, I know it must be hard being a living possession loving yet unloved like a tool which you can't dispose of." That statement hit me hard and it made my heartache. "I see, so it is true, you'll be better off with me." He dips me one last time as the music ends. A rose is presented to me by the man who I had just danced with.

" It's painful to see such a rare beauty being taken for granted." Hugh appears from the gathered crowd which was clapping and snatches me away. My 5'7 figure was no match for his power 6 feet something.

"Marko what did I tell you about Mel." Nolan was by my side ready to act. Hugh's possessive hand clutching painfully on my wrist as if restraining me from moving or even disappearing. "Oh come on now Lamont it was just a dance." I hated both men at this moment, they always fought over me forgetting I had my own voice. Such was my life and it was pitiful.

The rest of the party I was now in Hughs possessive grip on my waist.

At least I got to dance with the enemy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

LMJ