10. At Least Buy Me Dinner First

"And while the world continued
 to revolve,
she was stuck in the place
closest to the sun.

She bathed in the brightness,
but failed to notice that
she was already burning."

~Midara

Scarlett Ambrose was not someone to be taken by surprise anymore

However, when Ace Hardwood had slammed open her office door after meeting with Terrence Burke, she was almost sure she was getting fired, or worse, but what happened was pretty much the opposite.

"What?" she asked, completely confused.

"You're moving in with me," Ace repeated, like he was saying something as normal as the weather.

Scarlett squinted her eyes at him. In her mind, she knew that moving in with Ace would only help her finish her job faster, but she knew she couldn't seem too eager.

"I don't think I'm hearing you correctly."

"You're hearing me just fine, Ambrose," Ace stepped into the office and closed the door behind him, "We are going to be housemates."

Scarlett pushed her chair back. "Why? I thought you couldn't stand my defiance."

Ace raised his eyebrows. "I can't, but I also cannot stand the inconvenience of you living so far away. Whenever I want to do some work, I somehow seem to find that the resources I need are with you. Also, you've been behaving strangely, and I would like to keep an eye on you."

"You're the one behaving strangely."

"I'm paying you, Ambrose. You do as I say," he said, firmly, towering over her from the other side of her desk.

"You want me to move in with you?" Scarlett asked, leaning forward. Ace nodded. Standing, Scarlett leaned over her desk with a mischievous smile. "Shouldn't you at least buy me dinner first?"

Ace smiled at her comment. "I'll be buying you dinner for many nights to come, Ambrose."

"You want to let a complete stranger into your house?" she asked.

Ace shrugged. "If you're trying to kill me, I'd rather you be in my house where I can keep an eye on you."

"What about you lady friends?" Scarlett asked.

"You seem very interested in my sex life, Ambrose," he scoffed, "In case you haven't noticed, I have a fairly big house. I'm sure you'll be able to stay out of my way."

"Whatever will they think when they see another woman there?" she asked, smirking.

"Nothing, because they won't see you. You can turn up in the morning if one of them is particularly reluctant to leave."

Leaning over her desk, Scarlett looked Ace up and down, with that sly smile of hers. "You mean they're not dying to leave after they endure whatever is underneath that suit?" She flicked her index finger up and down, gesturing to Ace's body.