Ch39 - The Battle (North)

A new chapter coming right up!

*****************************

The Heroes Journey

The next day, the group had resumed their journey to their destination. The journey had been well without any particular problems except minor ones like an animal crossing the road.

This tranquility brought peace to all of the soldiers. However, it did not make Eiji, Grayson, Jea and Catherina calm at all. The peaceful scenery might be a good sight for the soldiers but for them it made them more tense than before.

It was simply too calm. There was nobody else using this road even though this was the main road which connected the countries. Not even a human was spotted.

Eiji had a bad feeling. His face looked calm from others' view but he was not calm in the slightest meaning. His body tensed up for any possibility of danger. However, a gentle, worried voice woke him from his focus.

"Eiji, what's wrong?"

It was Sakura, his childhood friend and the person he trusted the most. He noticed her face was cladded with worry and concern.

At first, he wanted to say that it was nothing but as he looked at her face, he knew that she would not back down if he answered half-heartedly.

"... it's too peaceful and the journey is progressing too well."

"Isn't that a good news?"

"Well, it's good but I can't help but feel like something is going to happen."

"Is that so...."

They needed their conversation just like that. None of them had any words to exchange since they knew it would be meaningless to say something to comfort each other.

"It will be fine, Eiji-sama. I'm sure if something happens, we will be able to take care of it."

Sylvia who was nearby spoke to Eiji to reassure him. She said so with a smile on her face. Eiji saw her smile and just smiled wryly as he knew that she probably did not know that anything was possible to happen in this world.

Suddenly, a loud, ugly shriek echoed through the road, causing many to frown and raise their guards up. Grayson, as the general of the convoy, ordered.

"Shields, form a circle around and prepare for any ambush! Archers, prepare to shoot and listen for my command! Scouts, search for the source of the voice!"

His voice was no longer a friendly one, but a rough, hand and stern voice. His face hardened due to the sudden shriek. His aura as a former general shone brightly at this moment.

"Report, a large number of monsters has been spotted! They are coming out of the forest from all corners! For now, we have confirmed the existences of goblins, orcs, ogres and Black Wolves! Their numbers are roughly more than a thousand and still increasing!"

"What!?"

Grayson exclaimed in confusion. He could not believe the report. Catherina who was nearby, asked for confirmation.

"Is the report true? Have you check it again?"

"Yes, we have confirmed it five times already!"

"Is that so...."

Catherina bit her lips in anxiety. She was racking her brain for solutions. Truthfully, she could push through the monsters and rushed to the other country but the casualty would be more than half of her numbers.

Even though the heroes were important and needed to be safe at all cost, it did not mean her subordinates were just sacrifices. Her hearts would not simply let their lives gone like that.