XXIX

It had been a serene few days. Most of which were spent crying, but it was calm. The reminders of my childhood prior to fate, the feelings of freedom, and my heart's unwillingness to develop feelings all triggered my emotional state.

When I had gotten here, I shut my phone off entirely. I erased everything and figured I'd deal with it when I decided to go back to reality. There was only one person I knew who could drive me here and that was Miranda. She swore herself to secrecy because I told her I needed to be alone. There was a lot I needed to 'get done', I told her.

All that seemed to have been accomplished since being here is shredding my emotions into a pulp. I can't do this around other people. I need to be alone to have feelings. It's vulnerability that I hate when other people see it. I'm strong; no one can see me break.

As I sit on the pier, I'm not surprised Harry found me. He's the only one I told about the cabin; I'm just fascinated at the fact he figured it out.

It's quiet between us, my feet dangling from the pier. There aren't shoes on my feet, but they also don't touch the water. Harry is sitting beside me, resting his body weight back on his hands. We've since moved closer to each other, enough for my head to rest on his shoulder. His rests on top of mine.

"You can't keep doing this to me, Lina," he breaks the silence, my eyes closing. I had known he must have been upset with me. My reaction with how I handle every situation regarding my feelings destroy what we have going forward.

I'm not regretful of my behavior; it's an instinct. But he's making my inhibitions fall.

"I know," I say honestly, his arm moving to wrap around me. He turns his head so he can press a kiss to my hair, my lips sucking in a breath. The way he's been treating me, soft and gently, is foreign territory. I've never had this.

He hasn't either.

"I don't give a shit if you yell at me, but you can't keep running away from me. Especially out here," he continues, lips brushing my temple as he does so. He's not angry at me, or at least I don't think he is. I frustrate him, just as he frustrates me.

"I know," I say again, his hand coming up to my head. He holds it in place on his shoulder, kissing my head as he holds me close.

My eyes squeeze shut as if it will make the feeling go away. Harry is taking care of me and showing me affection I never knew I could want. I want this attention, but I don't want the feelings associated with them.

I lift my head up and move to stand up, Harry following my actions. He walks with me toward the cabin and I allow him inside. I gather my things inside and Harry takes my bag, extending his hand to me.

We walk our way to where his truck is, Harry explaining he ran to his dad's shop to get it. It was interesting he didn't want to find me while on a motorcycle. I thought it would have been fun.

My head rests on the window as he drives us back to town, my eyes taking in the scenery. The sun is setting in the sky, the trees pass as the drive continues, and my hand is held in Harry's. He had taken almost a possessive hold of it as soon as we got into the truck, but I've learned not to fight it. Now, more than ever.

He parks the truck outside his building and we get out, my feet walking towards him as we walk near his building. It's clear to see he doesn't want me to go home, so I don't bother retaliating. I'll attempt to make an exit at some point, but I won't push it now.

When Harry takes my hand, he entwines our fingers. He's never done this; he's only ever just taken grasp of my hand, never linking our fingers. I furrow my eyebrows, looking up at him.