Prologue

"I'm ready as I'll ever be."

That is what Varian said the day before. It was how he had felt, when he began to carry out his ultimate plan to draw Princess Rapunzel in and make her free his father. He had tried asking her, even begging her, for her help. But she had broken her promise, and he had had no other choice but to use force by means of his alchemical abilities.

But, much to his disappointment, his plan failed. Rapunzel's unbreakable hair was still not enough to free his father from his amber prison. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Varian was unable to make the princess pay for all the pain she had caused him. Those black rocks, those stupid black rocks that she could somehow control had meant his defeat. He had then been handcuffed and loaded into the prison carriage like some kind of animal, as if he didn't even matter.

"I will make you proud of me, Dad..." He had said, as his loyal raccoon Ruddiger hopped into the carriage with him, "...if it's the last thing I ever do."

     As the guards drove the carriage to the castle's prison, Varian noticed lanterns being released in the sky

As the guards drove the carriage to the castle's prison, Varian noticed lanterns being released in the sky. In celebration of Rapunzel. As if things couldn't have been worse for him. The last thing he needed was a reminder of how much everyone loved the princess. Everything that had happened to him was her fault!

But even now, as he sits in his own jail cell, pondering all of the recent events, he knows that isn't true. He wants to believe it's true, to throw all the blame on her. But deep down he knows what the truth is. He was the one who disobeyed his father and attempted to use alchemy to get rid of the black rocks. He was the one who accidentally encased his own dad in amber. He was the one who gave all in the kingdom a truth serum, tricked the princess into committing treason, abducted the queen, and attacked everyone with giant automatons.

Yeah, it's still a lot easier to place all the blame on Rapunzel.

He thinks back to when he and Rapunzel first met, when he had been so excited that the actual princess of Corona had sought him out and needed his help. After that they had actually become friends, or so he thought. He wishes he could go back to that time, before any of these terrible things had ever happened.

How was he ever going to live his actions down? All he's ever wanted to do was make his dad proud, but he knows that if Quirin could see him now, pride is the last thing he would be feeling for his son. Now Varian fears he will never get the chance to see that gleam in his father's eyes.

"What have I done?" Varian pulls his knees up and buries his head in them as tears begin to flow. "I'm sorry, Dad! I'm so sorry..."

"Your Dad can't hear ya, kid," one of the guards watching over the prisoners says. "Besides, it's the rest of the kingdom you owe an apology to."

Varian glares at the guard, but he knows he is right. An apology would never be enough, though... There is no way Corona will ever forgive him for all he has done. He lays down on the cold, hard cot inside the cell, and attempts to rest. But his thoughts will not allow him to find any peace.