I'm the Murderer

Gasps erupted all around the Newsies.

"Who's Snyder?" I asked Elmer quietly.

"He- He ran the Refuge, and was horrible ta da Newsies." He whispered, voice trembling with fear. I glanced around the boys, and saw that Crutchie and Jack were both ghostly pale.

"Interestin' news, huh?"Oscar said smugly as he was opening the gate.

"Whadya mean?" Jack shouted. "That there is a dangerous man!"

"We neva said dat he ain't." Morris grinned sickly. Then he made eye contact with Elmer for a moment too long. He tensed up. Morris had a dark purple bruise on his face, right where Elmer had hit him. Whereas Elmer's was a lighter shade of purple. I steadied the cap, still not sure if I could call it my own. The gate rattled open, and his time I kept up with Elmer's pace. We were among the first in line.

"Papes to da Newsies, line it up!" Weasel shouted. When it was my turn, the old man eyed me. "A goil Newsie. Bailey, is it?"

I shook my head no. "Olive." Then I placed down a few coins. "Fifty."

Oscar handed over a stack of papers, which I tucked away into my bag. We'd left Honeybelle n our room with a full bowl of cream. Elmer was waiting for me a few feet ahead. When I walked up to him, I remembered. 

"I's gotta tell Jack somethin'." I told the black haired boy. He nodded, and I went to up to Jack. "Hey, Jack?"

"Hey, Olive." Jack greeted me warmly. 

"Elmer and I is gonna be with Miss Medda afta sellin'." I informed him.

"I will keep dat in mind." He agreed, readjusting his cap.

"Good." I smiled happily as I made my way back to Elmer. "Now we can go sell."

Together we walked, until we stopped by Central Park to sell. We didn't need to make up any headlines.

"Mista Snyder escapes from prison!" I yelled, earning six buyers.

"Forma Refuge owna becomes escaped convict!" Elmer advertised. That got him seven buyers. We continued selling until we both ran out.

"Dollar twenty." He gasped.

"Dollar twenty-one!" I grinned triumphantly.

"Aw, c'mon!" He beamed, nudging me. It looked like it was about 4-ish.

"I's guessin' it's time ta go ta da theatre." I took off the cap and smoothed out my shorter hair.

"That's correct." Elmer nodded, tucking his earnings away in his shirt and we walked down to the theatre, keeping an eye out for any danger. Eventually we made it to the theatre. I hesitated to open the door, remembering how he reacted yesterday.

"There's three things a lady should neva touch." Elmer opened the door.

"Yeah, and what might dat be?" I grinned, walking past him.

"Door," the boy held out 1 finger. "Check," a second finger. "And chair." A third.

"Who taught ya that?" I asked once we were both inside.

"My, uh, my fadda." Elmer responded, sadness tinging his voice. I linked my arm through his, trying to comfort him as we walked.

"Bailey! Elmer!" Miss Medda greeted us loudly.

"It's Olive now." I told her.

"I take it that you're a Newsie now." She guessed, stopping in front of us.

"I is." I nodded. "Thanks."

"No problem." Medda waved her hand. "Costume room is backstage, You'll know it when you see it. Start talking about what you want to preform!"