The "Good" Book

Today (a few days ago) they (and by they I mean Old White Christian Men) were passing out Bibles in all the major walkways. When they handed me my Bible I pretended that it had burned my flesh and dropped it. (Too holy for me, plus it was yellow)

                    I found out a lot of things in that moment. Old White Christian Men passing out Bibles don't find it funny when you pretend to be some kind of evil force/demon burned by the "Good" Book because you touched it. And some other people I've been calling my friends didn't find it funny either. I really wonder if they know me at all.

                      When I got to my lab station I told the people at my table 'what had done happen', because thats what we do before class starts in the morning to see who has the best story.

                      Then for some reason one asked if any of us had actually read the Bible. I was the only one who had at the table. (Only because of my brother. That "Good" Book is filled with some bad things.)

                     Then we asked the rest of the class, most said nothing, we got a few nos, 2 yes, and one girl who said "I'm ashamed to say I haven't read it all being that my parents are missionaries."

                      Totally unfiltered and meaning to only think it, I said "Missionaries are part of the reason why the world is so messed up."

                        Immediately people either took sides or tried their best to make it seem as if they weren't even on the same side of the planet, but still listening.

                      "How could you say that?" she said while I'm thinking the same thing, kicking myself mentally for having done so. I wasn't really ready for an argument like this on the fly.

                             "Africa..." Solid point on my side. "Because, overall look at what its done. Mostly white people going around to other countries telling the people that their beliefs/rituals are backwards and wrong. And talk them into believing in God. In the end destroying the culture that they had."

                           "And just how is believing in God destroying any ones culture?"

                          "Having people get rid of the original beliefs that have been passed down for generations for Christianity means they are excepting a new cultural identity and riding of the old in part or in its entirety. Festivals, rituals, worships, superstitions, what they eat, how they talk, and any other practices that don't go along with the new religion."

                           The teacher came in and I have never been happier to see the dumb woman, I didn't have a enough material to take on another question.  So I won by default!