71

"Get off, fucking creep," I hissed, ripping the hands out from under my shoulders and letting myself fall to the ground. But when I touched them, I felt a jolt run through my body. I'd recognize that feeling anywhere.

"So I die once and suddenly I'm a creep, huh?" Colby chuckled from behind me. I jumped up as fast as I could and wrapped my arms around his waist, squeezing as hard as I could.

"No, no. You're not a creep," I said into his shirt with a muffled voice. He hugged me back, his arms clasped around my shoulders.

"I thought I lost you," I whispered.

"Nah. Not yet," he replied.

"Not ever, please," I said.

"Sounds like a plan," he said.

"Atkins!" Jinx yelled, finally having finished picking Chavez up off the ground.

"Yes, sir?" I asked.

"You...," he trailed off. "This is your first and only warning." Jinx stared at me for another second before walking back over to help Waco and Porter get Chavez to the infirmary.

"Brother, where's your cell?" asked Sam, turning to Colby.

"Can you guys keep it moving?" Ray grunted from behind us.

"You saw what happened the last time someone said that," Corey said.

"With him," Colby whispered.

"I really didn't miss you," I sighed, looking back at Ray.

"Nessa," Sam said.

"What? I told you he'd be fine," I said.

"Huh?" asked Ray.

"Shut up," Jake and I said at the same time.

"Hold on, Nessa, did you...," Colby asked.

"Kill him in his sleep? Yes. She did," Sam said.

"Brother! Badass," said Jake offering me a fist bump.

"You what?" asked Corey.

"Colby's here now. That's what matters, okay?" I said annoyed.

"Baby, did you actually... you killed someone?" asked Colby.

"He's not dead! Neither are you! Why are you all so bothered by this?" I asked.

"Uh, why aren't you?" asked Corey.

"Because... because... I don't know. I just needed Colby back," I said. I looked up at Colby expecting a smile or maybe even a thanks, but he was shaking his head.

"At the expense of a man's life?" asked Colby.

"What is the problem here? I brought you back for god's sake," I said.

"I know, and I'm really glad you did but... you literally killed someone," said Colby.

"He looks fine to me," I said, pointing behind myself.

"That's not the point, Nessa," said Sam.

"How'd you even do it?" asked Jake.

"Waited till y'all fell asleep. Choked him," I explained shortly.

"Jesus fuck, dude," said Jake.

"Yeah, yeah," I sighed.

"Baby, why did you do that to him?" asked Colby.

"Because he's the scum of the earth?" I said.

"No, the other guy," said Colby.

"Chavez? I don't know. I just... you were gone and I didn't feel anything so when I got the chance to feel something, that something was anger and I just embraced it," I said. Colby gave me a look that I couldn't quite place. It almost looked like... disappointment?