Beyond the Corona Walls, Part 1/6

Varian doesn't want to think about how mad the king probably was that Rapunzel ordered he be released and allowed to join her on her journey. He was just glad that he hadn't been present for that conversation. It was already bad enough that he overheard when Rapunzel informed Eugene and Cassandra of the situation:

     "What?!" They had both shouted in unison. Varian watched from the hallway, peaking through Rapunzel's bedroom door that was open just a crack.

     "Are you completely crazy?" Cassandra continued.

     "No, Cass, I'm not crazy," Rapunzel replied. "Just hear me out..."

     "Oh really? 'Cause I think you're pretty crazy," Cassandra interrupted. "Either that, or you must have hit your head pretty hard in the battle we just fought against him and forgotten everything he did to us!"

     "Varian was just angry," Rapunzel said. "I didn't fulfill my promise to him. Those things he did... they weren't who he really is."

     "I get angry, and you don't see me attacking entire kingdoms," Cassandra retorted.

     "Blondie, you can't seriously believe everything he did was your fault," Eugene added.

     "No, not everything," Rapunzel replied. "But I did play my own part in it. And I believe that everyone deserves a second chance."

     "A second chance? Sure. In time, maybe," Cassandra said. "But trusting him enough to come along with us? It is not a good idea, Rapunzel."

     Rapunzel sighed, and Varian knew for sure that they had changed her mind. But to his surprise, she somehow convinced them to give him a chance. He was soon packing up his things, and loading them onto the caravan.

     Now, it has been almost a week since they left the walls of Corona behind. Rapunzel has been having the time of her life, enjoying every second of the trip, experiencing so many things for the first time. She wanted to climb every tree, splash through every river, and run through every field of flowers. And she was finding all kinds of things to document in that journal of hers. Poor Eugene was having a difficult time keeping up with his girlfriend, but he seemed to be enjoying himself as well.

     Varian, on the other hand, has mostly been trying to give everyone else their space. He still feels awkward being around the others, especially when Hook Foot gives him a withering glare or Lance watches him suspiciously. But surprisingly, Cassandra hasn't said a lot to him the entire trip. In fact, she's practically been ignoring the fact that he's even there.

     "Rapunzel," he hears Cassandra say outside the caravan as he sits inside, the motion of the caravan gently rocking him back and forth in his hammock. "Do me a favor, try not to run off like that. Not that I don't think you can handle yourself, but I promised your dad I'd keep you safe. And I'd hate to lose you less than a week on the road."

     "Has it been that long already?" Rapunzel sounds genuinely surprised.

     "You've got to exercise at least some caution out here," Cass continues. "Trust me, Raps. The real world isn't all fun and games."

     Don't I know it...? Varian thinks.

     "Next stop, Vardaros!" Hook Foot shouts, popping out of the top of the caravan.

     "City of fun and games!" Lance says with a laugh, joining Hook Foot.

     Varian rolls his eyes. All Lance seemed to think about were 'fun and games.'

     "I am so glad we decided to bring those two along..." Cass says sarcastically.

     "What about our, ahem, other guest?" Eugene asks.