Chapter Seven: Math Notes

By the second week of this weird time travel world, I finally settled into this new norm. I was acing my classes because I practically knew all of the lessons already, I still hung out with Pat and his whole friend group, Sasha and Mia even commented that I was back to my old self.

Everything was fine and dandy. I was acting as if I was truly myself months ago.

Well, there was one thing that changed – the thing that I was happiest about the most.

I turned my head to the side to see Leon staring disdainfully at the board, ignoring the snickers that were coming from both Sasha and Pat at his side. Those two were becoming fast friends and Sasha was getting less and less subtle with her attempts to bring Pat and I closer.

It was a miracle that the teacher hasn't called them out yet.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and kept it underneath my desk as I started tapping.

Avery Barber: You okay? You're glaring more than usual.

I watched as he jolted up, probably from the vibration of his phone, and ducked his head to look at the message I sent him. He glanced towards my way and I flashed him a small smile, waiting for him to reply.

I probably looked creepy as hell but we were going to ignore that, thank you very much.

Leon Colten: I understand nothing from this.

My hand shot up to cover my mouth in order to hide the giggles threatening to come out. So this sour expression was all because of algebra? Oh boy.

Leon had varying degrees of this annoyed expression. It ranges from his resting scowl face to outright shooting daggers with his gaze. Let me tell you, when I was dating Pat, I was on the receiving end of practically all of the levels of his glares.

Avery Barber: I can lend you my notes. Just give me until tomorrow to make them a bit more organized, it will be way easier to get the lesson.

He shot me a very subtle smirk and didn't bother with reply, only sending me a little thumbs up. He went back to listening to the teacher, but this time with his regular scowl and not his murderous one.

I tried to push my glee but it was futile, I was grinning creepily at the equations on the board that the guy sitting in front of me jumped in surprise when he glanced over his shoulder.

Just the thought that I could comfortably communicate with Leon like was enough to send me over the moon.

Once the teacher dismissed us, I stood up and packed my bag. But before I could make my way to where Mia was standing, I could see Sasha barreling towards me with one steel grip on Pat's arm.

Oh dear god.

"Avs, Patrick over here said that the soccer team is going to start their training today," she informed a bit more happily than I wanted, "Since he drives us, he was wondering if it would be alright if we could wait for him to finish."

At this point, I found no reason to deny her. Even if I knew her intentions were good, I had no plans of entering a relationship with Pat again, no matter how much I still adored him. But, I did want to remain friends and I didn't want to continuously reject him when he was making this much of an effort.

I was hoping that he would give up on his own because I have clearly stated that all I wanted was to be friends with him, nothing more and nothing less.

"Sure," I shrugged, swinging my bag onto my shoulder, "I have some notes to rewrite anyways so I'll wait in the library."

"Or!" she exclaimed, shaking Pat's arm so he could continue for her, "Or..."