Chapter 21

Tony wasn't very excited about the sudden shudder of his son being a superhero, but he knew him very well to know that if they forbid it, he would bypass them. That was probably what he had after him. So he decided to keep an eye on him. Together they created a suit that had perhaps all the security features that existed. Maybe even those that have not yet been discovered. In short, Tony built-in everything he could think of. Peter made his webs, which surprised Tony a little. He knew Peter was a genius, but he wouldn't expect this from a 14-year-old. He himself would probably have trouble figuring out something like that.

Tony simply thought he was in control. That could reassure Pepper when he had to come out with the truth. He had to tell her as soon as possible, but he had not yet dared to do so. He knew his beloved girlfriend would be furious, and that he would be the main target. And he really didn't like being under Pepper's anger. Interestingly, she could never get angry with Peter as she did with him.

"Sir, Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross is waiting for you in the lobby," Friday told him as Tony checked Peter's suit again. Before he allowed him to go out with it, he had to be absolutely sure it was the safest thing his son could have.

"And you just let him into my house?" Tony asked annoyed. Ross had been trying to contact him for about two weeks now, but Tony had successfully avoided it. After all, he had more important things to do, like taking care of his son, who suddenly had superpowers. He didn't care a bit what Ross wanted from him.

"Yes, sir," Friday answered simply.

"Remind me later that I have to look at the security codes. I don't want you to let all strangers, who will seek my attention, into my house," he said on his way out of the lab. Now, meeting Ross will not be avoided.

"Anthony Stark, how nice you took the time for me," Thaddeus Ross spoke as soon as Tony appeared in the hallway. He already knew that his visit would not be pleasant. At least Peter was going to school again. He didn't need his son to hang around people like Ross. Especially now that his senses were enhanced.

"Mister Secretary," Tony greeted him. He would have told him to go further, but he didn't want the man who had once tried to get rid of Bruce walking around his house. Just being in his hall was too much.

"I've been trying to reach you in recent days, but I haven't a success."

"Yes, I know. I tried to avoid you," Tony said honestly, not looking away. He never felt very good about him.

"Maybe if you answered my calls, you wouldn't be so surprised by what I'm about to tell you. The United Nations is discussing the current work of the Avengers," he told him.

Tony frowned slightly. "I'm not sure you should discuss this with me. The Captain leads the team. I am not even active right now."

"Sure, but you're still funding this project, aren't you?"

"That is still just the funding."

"I'm afraid world governments don't see it like that. You are funding the Avengers, you are responsible for their actions," Ross said with a smug look on his face, and Tony wanted to hit him to make that expression disappear.

"And what actions do you have on your mind specifically, Secretary? You mean how we saved the world, or how we saved the world?" he snapped. What was that supposed to mean?

"Of course, everyone is grateful for these actions, but you're not that great, are you? What about all the other failed actions? What about the mess that is always left after you? Not to mention all the innocent lives you are threatened by your actions—"

"You can never save everyone, and you know it very well!" Tony spat. How could this person afford to moralize him?!

"You are an independent organization, but that will end soon. We are trying to come up with an agreement that will be in the best interests of all. You should be prepared for it. No world government wants to ignore your actions anymore."

"Then again. I'm not the boss of the Avengers. You should discuss this with Steve. You know Steve, don't you? A blond guy about ten feet tall. The body has all the muscle and the ass also quite fits. Do me a favor when you take your head out of your ass, contact Captain."

"Don't see you for last time, Stark," he said as if he was winning, and Tony thought he was about to fly out of his skin soon. What would happen if there was simply an accident that Ross would not survive? Everyone would probably be relieved.

"Am I not a lucky guy?" he asked sarcastically.

Ross gave him a look before he finally left his house. Such insolence! He came here and is preaching to him how many people actually died by their actions? What about all those they saved?! Didn't it matter that if they weren't for them, the world they knew wouldn't exist anymore? Had it not been for him, a nuclear missile would have hit Manhattan? And the lives that the government decided to sacrifice back then didn't matter? His whole speech was a farce.

The Avengers were independent for good reason. They have never been, and certainly will never be, an instrument of government. Neither theirs nor foreign.