Chapter 31: Julian Atlas

Seeing her read through the evidence so well had me raring to go. I know that she is close with Saviour so it shouldn't really surprise me that she knows what she's doing, it doesn't, just gets me more excited for things I can't do yet.

I really need this whole thing to be over or things might go incredibly wrong... or right in my opinion, probably not in Bear's but it is what it is.

I settle back into the couch and watch as my daughter traces Breaker's tattoos, both of them are silent as we watch the news in the background. I've never pegged Breaker as a guy that would be good with children but the way he is with Gemma shows just how much he cares. I have no doubt that he would take care of her in all situations, I trust him to look after her, plus it's kinda cute watching her chat away to a tall, silent, breaker of bones.

Just shows how she's part of the family now, not that she wasn't before. As soon as they walked in here, looking like they needed help, everyone took to them immediately. I mean Runner had basically kidnapped Gem for the whole day and all of us had chats and hugs with her, she brings life into everything we do. Gives us something to fight for.

"Hey daddy, can I have ice cream with Breaker?" I look over at her and she seems way too happy for me to say no so I head over and crouch in front of her.

"You have to promise me that you won't leave Breaker's side, okay?" I put out my pinky for her to swear on, I trust Breaker to keep her safe, no doubt about it, I just want her to have some responsibility as well.

"I promise!" She tugs on Breaker, who grabs the truck keys and picks her up onto his back. "Bye daddy!" I head to the pink room so that I can tell Mari where Gem has gone if she gets worried later. I don't want to worry Momma Bear because she gets scary protective and I'm sure she's not afraid to bite.

I knock on the door, knowing not to open that door without permission since Romeo slammed in and all three women attacked him. It was funny to see him with his tail between his legs as he came back to the lounge, he apologised over and over again but I'm pretty sure the girls are still holding a grudge. They even managed to win the husbands over saying that they could've been naked or something, Romeo hasn't left his office very much since.

Though I do have a feeling that it might be something else that is getting to him. I'll be sure to talk to him once I've told Mari what is happening. "Come in!" Lex calls and I open the door to find Saviour in the armchair and the other two spread out on the couch with wine in their hands.

"Gem has gone out with Breaker and a prospect for ice cream."

"Is that okay? I thought with the lockdown..." Mari looks a little concerned but I know she feels the same way that I do about Breaker looking after our daughter.

"She's safe, Breaker will protect her with his life." Lex supports with a soft smile, rubbing Mari's upper arm in comfort. "Can you get Bear to order Chinese for dinner, please?" I laugh with a nod, heading back out towards Romeo's office. I tell Bear on the way who just rolls his eyes, taking his phone and wallet out of his pockets with a shake of his head.

He is such an enabler.

"Romeo!" I shout as I slam into his office, finding him on his gaming chair with a PS4 controller in his hand. He has every type of console in here with three TV screens, a couch and his desk with the four monitors on with all sorts of other tech. This is where all the electricity expenditure is.

"Dude, you made me lose that round." He turns to glare at me but the fact that he is high as shit makes that hard for him to actually intimidate me. I give him a look that asks him what the hell he's doing, he's been clean for two years and now he's back on it. "I know, it was only once."

"I know when you're lying, what are you on and how much have you had?"

"I've just had a blunt, chill out, you are not my father."

"No, I'm not. But I was sat there while you were getting clean, dealing with your come downs and your withdrawals, your mood swings and your refusal to eat anything. Hell, I stuck with you during those three relapses. I am not letting you go down that spiral again, give me your stash." I demand, outstretching my hand with a stern look.

He rolls his eyes and lifts himself out of the chair, grabbing a small baggie of weed and his rolling kit, handing it over with an angry look. "I'm sorry, I don't know what to do anymore." He groans, switching off the TV and flattening himself out on the couch.

"Is it the same problem as last time?" He's been having problems with a woman for a long time, on and off with him fucking other randoms in the meantime and then regretting them enough to dig into his stash.

"I don't know what I'm doing, I haven't been anywhere near them in weeks. I literally feel like I'm dying."

"Then why are you making it so hard for yourself? If you love her enough to feel like you're dying without her then go and be with her." He sniffles softly, his face still buried in the cushion, he's trying to avoid eye contact as well, this is not good at all.

"Because, she's ignoring me and every time I try and make things better, she just shuts me out and tells me to fuck off. I fucked her over too many times, I deserve this. I let her fall in love with me knowing that I couldn't commit, no wonder why she hates me."

"Tell her, find a way. Send her a letter or an email or something, Romeo. Maybe not to get back together, maybe just to make it known how you feel and apologise for everything that happened." He rolls back over and looks at me, I know he wants to say something else, his eyes flicking over my shoulder to the door that is still open from when I came in.

I take the look in his eyes as a request for me to shut the door, so I do so, turning back to him with curious eyes. "It's not that easy because..." He drifts off, looking away again having lost his confidence with what he wants to say. I have never seen him like this and it's really freaking me out. "Because it's not a girl, it's a guy."

I feel more relieved than surprised, releasing a huge sigh and resting on the wall. "Damn, you scared the shit out of me. I thought it was something life or death, don't do that shit, bro."

"You're not mad or disgusted?"

"Romeo, you are my brother. I don't care what you stick your dick in as long as you stay off the drugs and behave yourself to the best of your ability."

"Thank you, Hunter. You know, you're the first person I told."

"Yeah, obviously, I'm your fucking favourite." He just laughs and it's nice to see him back to at least semi-normal Romeo. "Chinese for dinner by the way."

"Fuck yes!"