Chapter 25

I woke to a loud beeping noise and somebody cursing vehemently

I woke to a loud beeping noise and somebody cursing vehemently. My eyes struggled to focus as my eyelids felt swollen shut. As soon as I managed to open one eye, I instantly regretted it. The light caused a searing pain to reverberate throughout my head and I winced as that searing pain seemed to be throughout my body.

"Eloise!" A sharp, familiar voice breathed in relief and I felt a dip in the bed I was laying in. As my eyes tried to adjust, I noticed my surroundings.

All white. Sterile. Blearing lights. Strange noises. I was in a hospital bed. The sheets were scratchy and the blankets were thin. My mother's familiar face was hovering over me, as was Harry's.

"M-mom?" I croaked, my voice sounded strange. It was painful to speak.

My mom's green eyes wavered slightly with tears. I attempted to sit up and found that it hurt immensely to do so. My ribs were on fire. She gently pushed me back down.

"Oh, my baby. Just lay still. You cracked a couple of ribs in the car accident. They're going to be really sensitive now and you don't want to hurt them further."

My brain, still adjusting to the multiple stimuli I was being exposed to, hurried to catch up with her words. The events of last night flooded my head, causing me to wince as I remembered each and every blow as well as the brown eyes that had turned to blue. Harry watched me as I ignored my mom and sat up anyway, wincing sharply as my ribs pulsated. I most certainly hadn't been in a car accident, even if I did feel like I'd been hit by a truck.

Briefly, I glanced around the room and noted that there was one other figure in the corner chair. His shoulders were slumped. He was breathing heavily with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. Harry noted my eyeline and touched our mother on the shoulder.

"Mom," he remarked gently, "we should go get the doctors and tell 'em that she's awake."

My mother looked at my face one more time, her eyes full of tears. She put her hand on my cheek softly and stroked some hair off of my face. It was an altogether soothing feeling. She was here. Something had shifted inside of her as she looked at me, I could sense it. I didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing.

She pressed a kiss to my forehead delicately and followed Harry out of the room, leaving me alone with the other figure in the room.

"Are you going to come here or are you going to make me get out of bed?" I asked, my voice raspy and dry.

I looked to the table at my side searching for water or any liquid to soothe the ache in my throat. When I looked back I felt the bed dip and a water cup was placed in my hand.

Brown eyes, wet and bloodshot, looked back at me. Neither of us spoke as I struggled to drink from the cup in my position. Without another word, his gentle hands were behind my neck and back lifting me up slightly so I could drink.