Chapter 21

That night, the nightmares were the worst they'd been

I wasn't alone in the field. It was the same clearing where Tucker had challenged Owein, but instead of werewolves surrounding me, I was looking into the faces of unfamiliar men and women. They were looking at me, their eyes unwavering.

They were dead.

Their faces were decaying, showing muscle and tendons through gaping holes in their bodies. At the end of them, was Tilly. She was crying.

"I didn't mean to," she cried softly.

I wanted to reach out to her, but I couldn't move. Another figure got to her first. My heart jumped to my throat as I watched him walk menacingly in front of her. The familiar brown eyes were cold- colder than I'd ever seen them. And when he spoke, Tucker's voice sounded foreign to my ears.

"Balance," he repeated back to her.

My head cocked at the familiar word. Before I could cry out, he'd grabbed Tilly by the arm and forced her into the center of the clearing, the group of the dead circling around them. Quickly, I ran to the circle, trying to force my way between the bodies, but they were unmovable. Tucker shoved Tilly to the ground before him, forcing her to her knees.

"This isn't balanced!" I yelled, from outside the circle.

He raised his hand as if to strike her and I felt my heartbeat in my ears. All of the eyes of the dead suddenly shifted from the center of the clearing to me. His hand came down toward my friend. 

"TUCKER STOP."

"Lou, wake up," a familiar voice shook me out of my dream.

I bolted upright in bed, knocking the concerned party back off the bed. My hand flew to my chest as I remembered the cold brown eyes, and saw that they were staring back at me. They weren't cold, however, only concerned.

"Jesus," Tucker exclaimed in a hushed whisper, taking a step back from the bed in shock, "are you okay? What were you dreaming about?"

I blinked a few times, making sure he was really here. But he was. He was standing in my bedroom. It was 2 am and Tucker Joy was standing in my bedroom.

"Okay, no," I breathed out, my heart still beating hard in my chest, and held up a finger, "let's start with what the fuck are you doing in my bedroom?"

He scratched the back of his head, anxiously. I raised an eyebrow, waiting for some type of explanation on how he'd randomly appeared in my room.

"I-uh, well, I was in the neighborhood..."

I raised an eyebrow at his attempt at a deflection. He was never one to tell many jokes, I suspected he was joking now simply because he was nervous. He sighed, realizing he was going to have to give me the real reason.