Chapter 34

Megan swallowed as she looked at me

My fingernails curled into my palms, leaving imprints. I checked down the line of makeshift hospital beds searching for Ben's face. Megan grabbed my arm, ripping me back into reality and away from the panic I felt for my best friend.

"Lou, I'll tell you but right now I need you to focus," she demanded, "Ben can wait for you. These people can't."

Her face softened as she looked into my eyes and registered the utter terror in my expression.

When she spoke her voice was soft, pleading, "Please, Lou. These are my people. You're the only one that can help them now."

I swallowed at the desperation on her face. As much as I longed to see Tucker and make sure he was okay with my own eyes or find Ben, I knew that I'd never forgive myself if I didn't do all I could for all that I could.

So I spread my hands over the next werewolf and pushed little bits of myself into her as she writhed back and forth, pained by the wounds in her abdomen. Her eyes fluttered closed as I felt the rush of the same darkness flowing into my fingertips.

It had a gritty taste- the darkness, a bit like tasting sand on my tongue. The feeling of it was like an ice cube sliding down my throat and spreading throughout my veins into my stomach until it reached my entire body. Down to my toes.

Every wolf I healed left me with the same result. But I didn't stop. Megan's eyes followed me as I moved from table to table, letting bits and pieces of me go into the people with the blue stains on their clothes.

Beads of sweat pooled at the top of my hairline and dripped onto my shoes as I moved from wolf to wolf, the darkness was a constant shadow. A constant companion as I healed them.

After I'd lost count of the people I'd healed, I held my hands out against one of the tables my shoulders sagging with heavy breath and my head hanging. A new kind of exhaustion was flowing through me. I'd had no desire to pass out like I used to. Instead, it was an emotional weight.

I wanted to cry. The amount of pain I was taking into my body was beginning to take its toll on me.

"Lou?" Mara's familiar voice murmured.

I looked up from my resigned position on the table to stare into her strange violet eyes. Noah and Lucas stood beside her, Elias too. The eldest of the three put his hand on my shoulder, practically holding me up.

"What the fuck happened?" I whispered.

"Hunters," he said simply, "back to their old tricks again. They moved bases. Everyone was looking for them, but they were ambushed."

I recoiled a little from the Joy boy's touch, feeling a strange sense of panic radiating off of him. There was something Elias wasn't telling me. As I pulled away, my feet fell out from under me and my knees buckled onto the cold, cement floor. Mara's concerned shout sounded miles away as if she were underwater. When I looked up at her, she had three heads.