Chapter 33

Telling Tucker the secrets I'd been keeping from him was not high on my list of things I wanted to do

Telling Tucker the secrets I'd been keeping from him was not high on my list of things I wanted to do. In fact, it was probably right under getting punched in the face by a werewolf again.

But after the visit from Alice and the night we'd shared together, I knew that I needed to. He'd been so open with me and I to him- but there were things that he needed to know that I hadn't told him. Luckily, I was spared the opportunity to do so by Anna Denvers of all people.

After leaving school later that week, she called. When I saw the name on my screen my gut reaction was to completely ignore her call. Delete her number. Or answer the phone and scream at the top of my lungs. She had had the power to stop what happened to me in the clearing, but she didn't.

She'd let it happen.

It was only my concern for Gray and the innocent members of her pack that spurred me to answer the phone.

"What do you want?"

"Can you come to the campsite?"

It was hard to tell from her voice if the matter was urgent or not. Going back to the campsite was probably even lower on my list than confessing my secrets to Tucker. I didn't have very fond memories there anymore.

"Again: what the fuck do you want?"

She sighed at my words. "It's not me. Mara wants to talk to you. Mara is-"

"I know who Mara is," I cut her off and contemplated the decision for only a moment, "tell her I'll be there in twenty."

Curiosity was what finally drove my decision. What could the half-fey girl want from me now? Perhaps she wanted to apologize for being the reason I was beaten, but I'd already surmised that she hadn't wanted it. Maybe she hadn't even known about it.

So when I arrived at the campsite, I was unsure what to expect from a meeting with her. Anna met me at the outskirts of the camp, where the protection spell began. We were silent as we walked through the campsite together. The alpha eyed me warily.

She sighed. "Lou, I don't expect you to-"

"You don't speak to me. Do you understand?" I cut in sharply, "I'm not here for you. And I won't be ever again...not until things change."

Anna drew back at my words, as if they'd shocked her. I wondered how she could be surprised that I was so angry. Did she really not understand that her restrictions were so incredibly wrong?

Luckily, she didn't try to respond back to me before we reached the area where Mara was sitting, a sketchpad on her knees. She was scribbling away at it. When she saw me, she stood immediately.

The alpha next to me inclined her head at the fey girl and dismissed herself, heading toward the large tent at the center of the campsite.

Mara studied my face in concern. "I tried to stop it, Lou. I swear. I-"