Chapter 40

Johnathan's plan was simple

I was easier to capture than Tucker, and I was better suited to be a prisoner- as much as it pained me to admit it. The sedative that Alice had given me once Tucker had snuck out my window would have done little to sap his supernatural strength. I, however, was knocked out completely. While he and I were both powerful, his abilities were physical and mine were mental. But there was only one type that my father could easily defend against.

As many times as I'd tried to reach out my mind to Johnathan, I was disappointed with every try. There was nothing radiating off of him, much like how Owein had been when my father was protecting him. His mind was off-limits to me- as were the other hunters that came and went in the apartment to babysit me.

I wasn't sure how long it had been since Alice had taken me from my room. It had been a few hours since I woke up on the couch and the sun was rising.

Sometime soon, either Harry or my mother would notice my absence. And then Tucker would.

So for the time being, I sat not so patiently on the couch while unfamiliar hunters continued to prepare for the ritual. I was not in the habit of waiting for someone to rescue me, but I would not have been completely opposed to the idea at this point.

At first, I had tried to listen in on the conversations that were happening around me, but all of them knew not to say anything of consequence near me. They said nothing of the upcoming ritual or what else my father needed for it. So I sat in boredom, occasionally trying to scream for help before one hunter shoved a rag in my mouth.

If looks could kill, that guy would be so screwed.

As soon as they untied my hands, they were going to wish they'd never met me.

"Lou," a familiar voice came from behind the couch, "interesting."

I shuffled around to look at the source of the voice. My pulse quickened as she took the rag from my mouth and looked down at me with a strange amusement- as if I were some zoo animal.

Tucker's ex-girlfriend crossed her arms as I tried to register her sudden appearance in my head.

"Rose," I breathed, "untie my hands. Please. I know you don't want this."

"I don't?"

I shook my head, swallowing and looking up at the blonde girl. I didn't feel any anger when I looked at her. She was just as much a product of her family as I was.

"No," I demanded, "you don't. Because they're going to hurt Tucker. My father wants to kill him. You can't want that."

Rose's face steeled and she glanced at the two other hunters in the apartment- neither of whom seemed to pay us any mind. When she looked back at me, I saw a solid resolve in her eyes. She'd made a choice and she was going to stand by it. Unfortunately for me.