Beyond the Corona Walls, Part 4/6

Back at camp, the sun has set. Varian, Cassandra, and Hook Foot are all sitting around a campfire eating supper. The events of the day have left them exhausted, physically and mentally. They are confused about the situation with Eugene, but Varian still can't get it out of his head that something else is going on.

"I'm gonna go talk to Rapunzel," he says, standing up and heading towards the caravan.

"I think you should give her some space," Cassandra says.

"I'm just gonna check on her," Varian says. "She'd do the same for me. She has done the same for me."

As he approaches the door, he hears her talking to Pascal inside: "I don't understand. Pascal, how can Eugene be getting married?"

Varian gently taps on the door. "Princess, can I come in?" He asks.

"Um... sure," Rapunzel replies, shutting her journal in front of her as Varian enters the caravan.

 sure," Rapunzel replies, shutting her journal in front of her as Varian enters the caravan

At first, Varian isn't sure how to begin. "I can't even imagine how you must be feeling," he finally says.

Rapunzel fights to hold back her tears. "I don't even know what to do now, Varian."

"Earlier today, Eugene asked you to marry him, right?" Varian asks. "That's why you guys were acting so weird?"

"How did you know?" Rapunzel asks.

"He, uh, showed us the ring just before he popped the question," Varian admits. "And he told us how it all went down afterwards."

A tear slips out of Rapunzel's eye and trickles down her cheek. "I'm scared, Varian. What if... what if that's the last time we ever talked?" Her voice begins to tremble. "Why didn't I say yes? I just let him walk away. Now, what if I never get to say all the things I should have said? I wish I could take that moment back..."

"Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced you don't still have a chance," Varian tells her.

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it," Varian replies. "We all know this isn't like Eugene at all! Something weird is going on, Rapunzel. I-I think there's more to this story than we're seeing. I mean, where is Lance? He wasn't with them onstage. Maybe... Maybe they've done something to him, and are blackmailing Eugene with him."

Rapunzel sighs. "I don't know, Varian... But right now, I think I just need some air." She pats his shoulder appreciatively, and then exits the caravan into the night.

     Why can't people just listen to me? Varian thinks, frustrated. Eugene wouldn't even be in this situation if he'd heeded my warning about that girl...

"Come on, kid. We're going to get Fitzherbert back!" Cassandra shouts into the caravan.

"Wha—?" Startled from his sleep, Varian jumps. The sudden motion causes his hammock to flip, dumping him out onto the floor with a thud! He rubs the bump on his head and glances at the clock. It's only been about an hour since he and Rapunzel talked. "Since when?"