compromise

"Keefe? Keefe, open up! I want to talk to you."

Sophie's voice. Keefe didn't move from where he lay propped up on Mr. Stinkbottom and throwing his pillow against the wall. Ro caught his eye and raised an eyebrow, but Keefe just shook his head.

"Keefe! Open the door right this instant!"

The sound of a foot stomp made Keefe smirk- she was just way to easy to tease. And that was the only thing driving him as he told her, "Wow, Foster's getting feisty, is she?"

Keefe sensed her smile even though he couldn't see it.

"Open up!" Sophie called, banging on the door. Keefe reluctantly rolled off the bed, tripping over a pile of wrinkled tunics before stopping right in front of the door, his hand on the doorknob.

"Keefe," Sophie warned. "I know you're standing right in front of there."

"Sorry- sometimes I just have to drag out the pain of knowing you're suffering without me." Keefe twisted the handle and let Sophie inside.

And... god, what was wrong with him? His eyes kept straying to her beautiful blonde hair that he missed twirling his finger through... and those beautiful, golden-flecked chocolate brown eyes darting across the floor with the nervous energy he still loved... and when she forced herself to face him, he felt himself fluttering, threatening to flutter away...

"-and yeah," Sophie was saying, and Keefe had to pinch himself to stop spacing out as he realized, while he'd been staring, she'd probably just given him some long, heartfelt apology.

"That's okay," Keefe said anxiously.

Sophie looked at him, confused for a moment before repeating, "Keefe. I asked why your room is such a mess."

Keefe blinked and wanted to smack himself- but he forced the smirk he'd learned to hide behind for so many years as he said, "Oh, yes! Probably because... er..."

"Don't answer that," Sophie told him, fidgeting with her tunic. "That was just.. me. Being sidetracked."

Her brown eyes locked into his and he felt his heart skip several beats- maybe that just meant he was in denial, Keefe thought, remembering that Empaths only skipped three heartbeats when they were lying.

"I'm sorry. About what happened.  It just.. it was so fast.. and I wish I could make it up to you somehow. Because..."

Keefe didn't know if she was going to kiss him, or keep rambling, or just break away awkwardly and rush home. Or maybe they were just going to hug it out and agree to be friends like the boys before her had.

And Keefe had no idea what he was going to do to any of the possibilities.

"I'm sorry too," Keefe whispered, taking her hand- not in a romantic gesture, just a friendly, comforting one -, "I should've been more understanding.. not jumping to conclusions like I did..."

"Me too," Sophie promised- was it just Keefe, or did her voice skip a few octaves?

"So.. what's next?" Keefe asked nervously. 

"I miss you," Sophie mumbled. "I miss you a lot- but there's just so much drama and-"

Keefe's breath caught in his throat- again -as those beautiful eyes bore into his, and Keefe tried to keep himself from choking.

"It just... feels wrong for us to have our happily ever after when Fitz has no one," Sophie whispered,  throwing back her hair.

"Then let's get him one!" Keefe told her brightly. "We'll set him up a blind date- a real one this time, and hope he gets what he wants. And then Team Foster-Keefe prevails again!"

Sophie laughed. "You are so on."

"But I'm Keefe Sencen," he reminded her, cracking a smile.

"You are," Sophie agreed, with a mischievous smirk of her own.

"And he's Fitzy," Keefe said evilly.

"He is." Sophie looked like she almost felt bad for Fitz- and then stopped herself.

"And you're Sophie Foster," Keefe added.

"I am," Sophie said, drawing herself up proudly.

"Anybody you have in mind?" Keefe teased, leaning against the foot of his bed.

"Yup!" Sophie grinned at him.

"Marella."

marellitz / fitzerella is cool and all , but fitzalier ( fitz x chandelier ) .... <3