book 1 - chapter 18

I'm holding as tight as I can to the sides of Naga's saddle as Korra leads us to the pro-bending arena. We fly past the 'do not enter' signs, eager to tell the boys the good news. I look at the arena with melancholy, feeling that I'm losing the place where I felt closest to my mom in my entire life.

Korra and I both jump off Naga and rush inside. We run to the boys' apartment and eagerly go up the stairs.

"Guys!" Korra calls. "Great news! You don't have to go back on the streets, we talked to Tenzin and made all the arrangements!"

I proceed to stand next to Korra and smile at both Mako and Bolin in excitement. "You guys can come live on Air Temple Island with us!"

"Oh..." Mako says, looking at the floor. He begins to scratch the back of his neck, something I know him to do when he's nervous or uncomfortable. "We'd love to, but—"

"Asami already invited us to live in her dad's giant mansion!" Bolin exclaims, interrupting his brother. "From here on out, it's going to be the lap of luxury for us."

I look down at the floor, overwhelmed by disappointment. I understand that it's a great opportunity to go live in the Sato Mansion. Yet, since Korra and I have gotten so close to them, I was excited about the possibility about seeing them every day. And maybe, Mako could've helped train in a more consistent manner, resulting in me getting over my fear of fire even quicker.

I turn to look at Korra, who has a saddened expression on her face. Suddenly, we hear a familiar voice, resulting in my best friend's face to go from sad to pissed off.

"Oh, hey, Korra! Hey, Luna!" Asami greets as she begins to go down the stairs from the second level of the boy's apartment. "I was hoping you guys would stop by."

"Hey, Asami!" I respond with a smile.

Korra suddenly grabs my wrist, startling me, and begins to drag me back to the stairs that lead us away from the apartment. "We were just leaving." She halts and turns to face the boys. "So, I guess we'll see you guys around...sometime."

"Why not tomorrow?" Asami queries, brushing off her outfit. "I'd love to have you guys come visit the estate."

"I don't know." Korra immediately defers. "I have some...Avatar stuff to do."

Bolin grabs Pabu and proceeds to move his hands, while doing a high-pitched voice. "Come on, Korra and Luna! We all deserve a little rest and relaxation after all this craziness! We could swim in Asami's pool. It'll be fun!"

Korra and I giggle. I turn to meet her eyes, making a puppy-dog face, as I'd love to go hang out with the boys and Asami. "All right, Pabu." Korra says, giving in.

"Great!" Asami cheers. "We'll see you tomorrow!"

As Korra and I exit the arena, I feel the cold breeze hit me. "Why do you get all weird whenever Asami's there?" I ask her while getting on Naga's saddle. "I thought you were cool with her after your gratitude session the other day."

"She just bugs me." She retorts. "Being all prissy and stuff."

I chuckle. "Do you actually know she's prissy, though?"

"Of course, she is!" She exclaims. "Have you seen her?"

I roll my eyes at my best friend. "Is it her being 'prissy' that bugs you? Or, is it the fact that you still have a crush on her boyfriend?"

Korra drops her head in defeat, then huffs. "It's no fair that you know me so well."

"Kor, I think it's time you think about maybe moving on..." I suggest, not wanting her to get hurt. "You saw what happened last time."